Bigger battery not better??? :(

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So the I replaced my Galaxy S3's 2100 mAh battery with a third party 3420 mAh battery. I already calibrated the new battery twice, but I havent noticed any changes in battery life. My battery was at 100% this morning when I woke up around 6:30-ish. Its 10:45 and my battery is now at 65% already :(

I know third party batteries may not have as high of a capacity as the seller states, but I was at least expecting a noticeable change in battery life. :( Anyone know why it hasnt made much of a difference?

Posted via the Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The major issue with abnormally high capacity batteries (for example, almost 50% great capacity than stock) is that they typically have dramatically higher resistance than the stock battery. As a result, you lose more power from your battery trying to deliver power to your phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nice theories (or were they just guesses), but the only way to tell for sure is to measure the capacity of the battery. Some sellers simply relabel a stock battery and sell it at a higher price. Put a known load on the battery and see what the draw-down capacity at 0.1C or 0.2C is. If you can't do that, you'll just have to accept that you have 2 stock batteries, one mislabeled.

I've used known larger capacity batteries in LG, Motorola, Nokia and Samsung phones over the years with no problem - they all lasted longer to a given discharge point. (In fact, with the 5110/6110 series, Nokia themselves sold a larger capacity battery. And, IIRC, Motorola also did with a few of their phones.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci