Why is Lollipop so ugly?

Andrewcf2921

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
why is lollipop so ugly?

Why did android make lollipop so ugly? It looks like a two year old made a 1985 Nintendo game and then finger painted on the screen to hide the embarrassment that is lollipop. Absolutely hideous and frankly a carbon copy of iOS. I have android because I hate iOS. I will never downgrade to lollipop nor will I buy another android phone till this obsession with flat animé graphics stops assaulting my eyes. Disgusting choices.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: why is lollipop so ugly?

Why did android make lollipop so ugly? It looks like a two year old made a 1985 Nintendo game and then finger painted on the screen to hide the embarrassment that is lollipop. Absolutely hideous and frankly a carbon copy of iOS. I have android because I hate iOS. I will never downgrade to lollipop nor will I buy another android phone till this obsession with flat animé graphics stops assaulting my eyes. Disgusting choices.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Why did android make lollipop so ugly?
For the same reason that the mother of an ugly kid thinks the kid is beautiful. It's called "personal taste". So your question is actually "why did they make Lollipop look like something I don't like?", and I think the answer to that is obvious.

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Why did God make puppies so ugly? What with the big eyes and little paws they're absolutely hideous and frankly a carbon copy of dogs. I bought a puppy because I hate dogs and I will not buy another puppy till they learn to stop growing. Disgusting beasts.

Johan E Bengtsson

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
This was precisely what I was asking myself, so I googled and found this thread. It is truly hideous.

I will bear with it (becauseI REALLY want a couple of the advertised other things that are improvements), and try to find some UI shell that hides this atrocity. Does anyone have any better-looking UI shell to suggest? Thanks!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a launcher would help with some of this, but that won't hide the built-in animations and transitions.

I'm sure Samsung will TouchWiz​ify on top of everything to hide Lollipop. That's an option.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I second this.. I'm sure Samsung will do their best to change everything and eat up even more system resources in the process ;)
I am OK with touchwiz eating up "more resources" if it means getting 55% more battery life on my TouchWizified Note 4 vs a Nexus 6 (based on Web browsing benchmark).

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

MythArcana

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

I absolutely agree with your perspective stated above; Lollipop does appear to have been created by three year olds with A.D.D. and extreme vision impairment. I have two Nexus 7 2012 tablets; the newer one updated, the older one still hasn't received an update notice yet...and I'm not complaining after seeing what it did to my newer tablet.

First off; blinding WHITE GUI - they have Material Dark as a built in style, why not put that simple option in Settings->Display as a NIGHT MODE option for those who value their eyes? Half the GUI is black, then white tabs, then full white screens (Settings), then back to some other neutral color. Holy Cow...I can't believe this was even approved.

Secondly, half the tabs have had their toggles/switches removed (as in the Settings section) and it's been so incredibly "dummified" that I wonder if I'm using someone's $36 VisuaLand device. Even when you go to Power Off, where's the Silent Mode and Airplane Mode option? Where is the confirmation screen? And it's BRIGHT WHITE like everything else. Ugh!

The Flappy Droid game and the Notifications Toggles are the only cool features I can use. Everything else needs to go straight back to Apple labs where it came from! KitKat was so dark, sleek, sexy UNIFORM and just plain pleasant to the eyes, especially in the dark where I use my tablets 100%. I certainly hope that Google whips out an update very soon to at least let us regain our bleeding eyes with a night mode (Material Design Dark) because I can't believe just how horrible Lollipop looks when I finally can see again.

KitKat v4.4.4 FOREVER!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I am OK with touchwiz eating up "more resources" if it means getting 55% more battery life on my TouchWizified Note 4 vs a Nexus 6 (based on Web browsing benchmark).
I'm not. If I want more battery life (which I always have), I carry a spare battery in my pocket. That, a screen protector and a TPU case are the first things I buy for a new phone and always have (except before there were TPU cases or screen protectors, but I still have 3 working batteries for my V-551 - I can go for a few days of heavy use without being near a power source).

I'm running 4.4.2 on a Note 3, Safestrap and root. It's staying that way, because Hashcode isn't updating Safestrap in the near future (and I haven't heard any reports that 3.75 runs on 4.4.4) and I refuse to spend a few hours reflashing the phone if I screw up and flash some junk (which I've done more than once - then it takes a few seconds to delete the partition or wipe it).

And root? Anyone figure out a way of safely rooting Lollipop with Knox? (Hey Samsung, did you know that the way to spell huge loss in income is "K-n-o-x"? And that "locked bootloader" is another way?)

I just rip out all the "more resource"-eating junk or run a ROM that has it ripped out. But there's nothing I want to do that I can't do with 4.4.2, so even when AT&T releases Lollipop I'm not reflashing a stock ROM to get it. From everything I've seen (especially in this thread), it's at least 2 steps backward. (And I didn't mean backwards.)

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it looks bad. I use Nova launcher though so I kept the kitkat app drawer launch effect. Other than that I love the notifications and the app switcher/recent apps. I love the notifications on the lock screen as well. I think it all looks good (minus the app drawer launch which I fixed by using Nova). Anyway, that's my take. I'm really liking lollipop on my nexus 5.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not. If I want more battery life (which I always have), I carry a spare battery in my pocket. That, a screen protector and a TPU case are the first things I buy for a new phone and always have (except before there were TPU cases or screen protectors, but I still have 3 working batteries for my V-551 - I can go for a few days of heavy use without being near a power source).

I'm running 4.4.2 on a Note 3, Safestrap and root. It's staying that way, because Hashcode isn't updating Safestrap in the near future (and I haven't heard any reports that 3.75 runs on 4.4.4) and I refuse to spend a few hours reflashing the phone if I screw up and flash some junk (which I've done more than once - then it takes a few seconds to delete the partition or wipe it).

And root? Anyone figure out a way of safely rooting Lollipop with Knox? (Hey Samsung, did you know that the way to spell huge loss in income is "K-n-o-x"? And that "locked bootloader" is another way?)

I just rip out all the "more resource"-eating junk or run a ROM that has it ripped out. But there's nothing I want to do that I can't do with 4.4.2, so even when AT&T releases Lollipop I'm not reflashing a stock ROM to get it. From everything I've seen (especially in this thread), it's at least 2 steps backward. (And I didn't mean backwards.)
Doesn't the note 4 developer edition have an unlocked or at least unlock able bootloader?

In any event, I haven't rooted any phone in the past few years. Never found a need. I agree that a small minority like yourself have different needs, and for those, perhaps the note 4 isn't the best choice.

imo, the vast majority of people would prefer 55% more battery life over the ability to root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

Viorel Ianasi

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

I agree! Lollipop is ugly! Ruined my S5. I consider reverting to KitKat. I hope Samsung will change TouchWiz in a way to hide the Lollipop ugliness. Current versions reasambles Lollipop's Material Ugly Design.

Bill Bentley1

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Ugly is an understatement.. The glow in the dark nuclear colors actually give me a headache. Possibly due to previous eye surgery? A better question is why don't they have a way to refuse this update ! I OWN my phone and did not give them permission to install their lollipop garbage on my phone. It was done without my consent. With NO way to stop it!

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Completely agree. Seriously, a teal background with yellow text on the settings?

I suggest that everyone who doesn't like it should complain to Samsung. At least with Microsoft Windows XP and higher, when they introduced a radical new UI theme, they gave you the option to change colors (luna, silver, olive -- some people complained that Luna looked too toyish/fisher-pricey, but at least they had the option to chose another theme or go back to classic -- you weren't stuck with it) and the option to revert back to classic. With these forced updates, we don't have a choice. However, Samsung has developed a way to do this with the Theme Engine, but only implemented it on the SG6. As the Note 4 is a current Flagship model along with the SG6, I think it's unfair that it wasn't also pushed to Note 4 owners, esp. after this Lollipoop color scheme update.

My only advice is to complain to Samsung as much as you can, esp. before the Note 5 is released, as once that is released, kiss any request for the Theme Engine coming to the Note 4 goodbye. This is my last Samsung phone. I only got it because of the ability to change the battery and add a SD card which you can't with the SG6 -- and since they are both current expensive Flagship phones, Note 4 users really need to demand this feature be applied to Note 4 owners.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, this thread is not about Samsung specifically, but Lollipop in general, but my original comment called out Samsung specifically (but it's still a relevant example of segmentation.) I still think that in general, Google should incorporate a native Theme Engine in their o/s rather than relying on manufactures to do so, which they either segment into models (like SG6 vs Note 4) or do they do it half baked or not at all. At least give us a choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar