03-17-2016 11:53 PM
57 123
tools
    Gotta agree with the disdain of the new color themes. I'm sure some of it is getting used to a new look, but the colors ARE too juvenile, IMO. And I could even get over that if there were more built-in choices so I could change my colors. It seems as though the color choices have gotten fewer than there were on KitKat! As it is, Lollipop uses so much room on my GS4 that I don't dare spend the space on an app that gives me a new launcher or themes.

My other big grip is the way that apps have to be in a pattern on the screen (hello, Apple). I want them in a list, like I had them in KitKat, and there's no native option to do so. It doesn't seem like it would have been a big deal to have kept that tiny option!
    PaleCupcake likes this.
    05-08-2015 05:47 PM
    I have an LG G2, and it was really pretty. I loved the way Kitkat glowed, bright and pretty. Then I suddenly got this update. It's repulsive. The notifications stick in the front of the screen. When I try to slide it it doesn't slide well to open up the screen I had to go in and turn off all the notifications, and I still get notifications. The weather looks like a 3 year old drew it. It's actually hard to read. My camera has even changed. As soon as I can, I'm getting an iphone. They ruined a perfectly good phone that is paid for and is mine!

And the blue is the most hideous color of blue I've ever seen. There is no easy way to switch back either.
    wroxtar and PaleCupcake like this.
    05-09-2015 09:19 PM
    Why did android make lollipop so ugly? It looks like a two year old made a 1985 Nintendo game and then finger painted on the screen to hide the embarrassment that is lollipop. Absolutely hideous and frankly a carbon copy of iOS. I have android because I hate iOS. I will never downgrade to lollipop nor will I buy another android phone till this obsession with flat animé graphics stops assaulting my eyes. Disgusting choices.
    05-11-2015 05:57 AM
    Totally agree with your comments about Lollipop grahics. This stuuff looks like it was designed by children for children. My S4 downloaded last night. Had I known it would look like this, I would not gave upgraded. My phone now looks like a child's toy.
    wroxtar and PaleCupcake like this.
    05-11-2015 06:01 AM
    Hmm..I don't mind the light theme, I got tired of the dark theme that has been going on for years.

The one thing I do not like is the texting app colors. That orange is not pastel orange, it is neon orange. That was not a good move and I wish I could change that, BUT..

It's my phone, I don't have to stare at it all day. I'm not going to marry it and have to wake up looking at it, sit at the table for breakfast looking at it, have children with it. My notification shade looks find, the turquoise and the yellow are actually complementary colors in the art world. Orange is not a popular color nor even close to anything in a neutral range. As a whole, the phone is really bright, which isn't a bad thing, it works great in the bright sun. I keep my screen brightness down very low when not outside in the bright sun.

But again, it is my phone, I choose my phones by my needs and what they do, not by the colors of their UI.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-11-2015 09:06 AM
    I agree with those who do not like the look, it is an overall very ugly design. If I were to get passionate about the look, I'd say I really want to hate the look of this unwanted upgrade as it made my nice and once easy to use cell phone look like a Bozo the Clown toy. Bozo might have been a popular character for kids in the 1960's, but this ugly interface does not entertain me like the circus once did because I'm not a kid anymore. In fact it makes me want to grab an old fashion analog land line and chuck my cell phone in the trash! But at least I can now thank Android for making me long for my old Apple 3GS. I got it out again and looked through it. Now I'm longing for those days when Steve Jobs demanded simplicity and beauty in design and not this horrid display of colors gone wild. Did the android developers even think that some people might be color blind too? But why am I complaining when I'm sure this rant will fall on deaf ears as they are marketing to the masses and not the everyday users or certainly not the seasoned adult users.
    PaleCupcake likes this.
    05-15-2015 12:21 PM
    Yes I loved my ugly Android 4.4.4 KitKat kid! I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 based upon the look, feel and personality of that kid. It fitted with my personal taste, behaved well and I admired it. Now, that much loved kid has been taken away and replaced with someone else's personal taste in the form of a repulsively ugly retarded kid with severe behavioural issues. This phone is no longer the one I purchased! It is has a totally different look, feel and personality and I'd never buy one of these things, looking, feeling and behaving the way it does! I loved my phone and am now hating it with a passion. How would that work if you bought a car based upon your personal taste and then the dealer came around and jacked it up on garish wheels, re-sprayed it in an infantile bright white colour theme and re-upholstered the interior in orange and replace the smooth, cool reliable engine with a cranky, misfiring overheating and totally unreliable power-plant? It would hardly be the car you bought. It is somebody else's ugly kid, not your own. I cannot believe that something I was so happy with and bout has since been rearranged into something I utterly dispise and would never buy. My Note 4 is hardly fit for purpose since the upgrade.
    CcSon likes this.
    05-16-2015 09:47 AM
    Yup I'm definitely hating the lollipop update on my sexy note 4!!

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-16-2015 07:12 PM
    I totally agree and this really ticks me off. Just like crappy Office 2013 icons. Why in the world would Android want to look like a 3 year old made the software. My whole family is very unhappy with this new version 5 crap. The prior OS was perfect, icons look fancy and hi quality. Was there no where else to go but backwards??? Come on Google, grow up.
    05-17-2015 11:04 AM
    This orange and blue that everyone's mentioning must be a Samsung thing, because I don't have that on my Nexus 5 (except for the battery saving mode) or OnePlus One. You should be complaining to your phone manufacturer, not Android. True lollipop does have the white dialer, notifications, etc now, but not these colors natively.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    05-18-2015 01:53 PM
    I don't want to boast or anything, or appear immodest, but I can reveal now that I had a direct communication from Google's Labs, saying they finally want to acknowledge that it was my selfie image from my Google+ account that finally gave them the inspiration for the overall theme of Lollipop.

They have only given me permission recently to reveal this, and I wanted to wait for a suitable thread title to let you people know.

You are all very welcome!
    Laura Knotek and Kelly Kearns like this.
    06-07-2015 08:26 AM
    I don't want to boast or anything, or appear immodest, but I can reveal now that I had a direct communication from Google's Labs, saying they finally want to acknowledge that it was my selfie image from my Google+ account that finally gave them the inspiration for the overall theme of Lollipop.

They have only given me permission recently to reveal this, and I wanted to wait for a suitable thread title to let you people know.

You are all very welcome!
    Hahaha!
    anon8380037 likes this.
    06-07-2015 12:18 PM
    Lollipop actually looks amazing in AOSP. I feel sorry everyone that is dealing with stock versions of the manufacturer's take on Lollipop firmware. Not to mention, the carrier bloated modifications.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-2015 11:32 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what's so bad about Lollipop. I have one device with Lollipop and another with KitKat. Yeah, they look different, but the apps still work the same. I'm more concerned about function, rather than form. If it works, I'm not so concerned about how it looks.
    Kelly Kearns and anon8380037 like this.
    06-07-2015 11:50 PM
    The orange with the messaging is ugly for me, but I don't look at it long. I wasn't willing to pay for an app that would get rid of that. I found the Verizon app works on AT&T and downloaded that for free and can change the colors of the messaging app and adds other functions.

I like the white myself, that means I can turn my screen way, way down..
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-2015 11:56 PM
    I love lollipop. I think it's the best design Android ever got.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    06-08-2015 11:29 AM
    I hate everything about this new look. CHILD TOY only begins to describe the way my Note 3 looks. What a joke.
    06-11-2015 08:25 PM
    Would you be happy if someone painted your expensive looking car in white, horrid blue and bright orange??
    06-19-2015 01:55 PM
    I still don't have Lollipop on a Note 3 or Moto G 2013.
    Playing around with other devices though, and while I don't like it, it's kinda superficial in that once you start to use an app or find the setting you want, it goes away. Like I say I don't use one yet.

And now for the good news:
    3rd party dark themes are emerging according to recent S6 threads. Hopefully Google will give that option in time, if only to sell the next generation of devices.

On Edit:
    New Material Design Themes approved
    06-19-2015 02:23 PM
    To the people saying this is all cosmetic and doesn't effect how the phone is used: You are simply wrong.

I use my phone mostly at night time. Everything is bright white. The alarm screen is bright white. The settings screen is bright white. The messages screen is bright white.

From a design standpoint, this is a failure. Why is the last screen I look at for the day (setting my alarm) white? This keeps me awake. Lowest brightness dark was MUCH darker than lowest brightness white.

I work at a graphic design house. I'm disgusted with my phone now. I've been a fan of samsung since before they made phones, but right now I'm so pissed that they pulled this bait and switch and have done nothing to rectify it for months, I don't know what I'll do next. I'm losing faith in samsung.

I purchased a phone with a dark screen. Without my consent, they changed my phone to all white interface. This is a bait and switch and I'm very disappointed.
    06-24-2015 06:52 PM
    Im done with this lollipop os. It messes up my s5 so bad that sometimes i want to throw my phone away. Im going to install a costum rom. Or wait for the android m.
    06-24-2015 06:57 PM
    I now have my first Lollipop (5.1) on my Moto G and it is pretty harmless on this device.
    I suspect it has more of a negative impact on heavily skinned devices such as Samsung's.

On Edit: I also suspect I'm not saying anything new here
    06-25-2015 05:06 PM
    Its not samsung companys fault. Its lollipop os. Its the most badest thing that came to samsung. The lollipop os is a disaster.
    wroxtar and Michael Opheim like this.
    06-29-2015 07:28 AM
    Moto X 1st gen here. I absolutely loathe the WHITE MENUS. And even more than that, I loathe the lack of a dark theme option. Totally unacceptable. Heck...even MS, the KING of taking away user options, gave the CLASSIC option after radically altering their themes. (At least I was able to find a built-in Holo White (dark themed) keyboard that was similar to KitKat's keyboard. That helped a bit. I couldn't stand the new Lollipop keyboard.)
    07-17-2015 08:28 AM
    I don't like the bright-white backgrounds either, it hurts my eyes. I bet it also uses more power to light-up the screen.

Is there an OS-wide GUI setting to make lollipop look like kitkat?
    08-16-2015 06:30 PM
57 123