Verizon states in their FAQ that if I pay full retail for a phone that I can keep my UDP. A Verizon customer service rep told me to be careful that the ESN is clean and that it was not purchased under a 2-year plan. I was told to take it to a Verizon store to activate and that I will need a new SIM card. I am on month to month, no contract. Can someone verify for me that this will work? Also, what if it was purchased under contract, but the contract is no longer in force? Thanks for any help with this. I'm only doing it this way because I want the Samsung S4 32GB which is no longer offered by Verizon.
    11-16-2014 04:16 PM
    Yes this works. Use someone like Gazelles ebay store. Once you get the phone, just swap your sim card in and you are good to go. I do this all the time
    11-16-2014 09:31 PM
    I would never buy a phone from any eBay seller including the one mentioned above. They are well known for selling phones with blacklisted IMEI's. In fact someone here posted sometime back that he had bought from Gazelles and was unable to activate it since it had been blacklisted and they refused to refund him..
    Instead buy from someone local on Craigslist but only if they agree to go to the Verison store with you so you can check it out before making payment..
    Rukbat likes this.
    11-16-2014 09:47 PM
    I've done this with about 5 different phones and it worked perfectly with every phone. Just received the galaxy note 4 2 days ago, went down and got a Sim card right from my local verizon store with no problems, they activated it for me and I kept my UDP!!! Just be careful who you buy from. Try to look for someone that does refunds so you can get your money back if the phone doesn't work. I've only ever bought phones that were brand new also. So just keep that stuff in mind!

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-16-2014 10:33 PM
    Do it Colyn's way. Be in the Verizon store and have them transfer the ESN to your account when you pay the seller. That way the seller can't later report it stolen, keep your money and get a new phone for the copay on the insurance (which is a VERY common scheme). You're kind of ecrowing the sale, so both the buyer and seller are protected.
    11-16-2014 10:47 PM