How do I reduce file size in videos on my Moto X easily ?

kkluver

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched to a Moto X phone from my iphone, and the biggest problem I am facing now is the frustration in not being able to send (via text OR email) videos because the files are SO HUGE .
I am not opposed to good quality videos but the fact that I cannot email over a 20 second long clip is ridiculous .
They even take FOREVER to upload onto my Google drive, and with how large the files are, my drive will be full in, like, a day .
I've tried looking into a setting to reduce the file size / quality / resolution on all videos, but it doesn't appear to be an option .
What else can I do ? It's stupidly time consuming to try to send it here then here then here, only to be able to email someone a LINK to a video . Lame . Please help ASAP .

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would think that even if you had a good video compressor, the quality of the video would decrease so much that it would hardly be worth it. Have you tried sending videos over Hangouts? That's the closest to iMessage that Android has. Or how about WhatsApp?

kkluver

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tried either Hangouts or WhatsApp . . . but could either really send a file larger than even gmail can send it ?
I honestly didn't think my video quality on my iPhone was bad at all, but I never had a problem sending them over via text, and even if text didn't work, email always did .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've read that the WhatsApp file size limit is 16 MB, which isn't great, but it's significantly better than the approximately 1.2 MB limit for most MMS messages. It all has to do with how the app's servers handles the video file. Your iPhone could send videos well because it used iMessage, not conventional MMS.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are two things that determine the size of a video file - the resolution of the video (number of pixels) and the compression method used. If you shoot 3840 x 2160 videos at 30fps (the best a Moto X can do) you'll get huge files. If you shoot 1920 x 1080 videos, you'll get files 1/4 the size, but 1080p resolution (what you see on TV). If the person watching the videos is going to watch them on a phone, 720p won't look much different than 1080p, but the files will be 1/10 the size of 3840 x 2160 files.

You could convert the files to .avi format but, while still watchable (that's all we had back when we started recording video), the quality difference will be noticeable. (A full-length .avi movie can be as small as 750MB.)