Following the recent mega update (131 updates were applied the other day) the Gallery icon containing all saved photos vanished. The photos were found after much searching under the Camera icon but the order is not what is wanted and the quality of some of the photos has reduced. Any idea how we can get back Gallery?
    11-18-2014 03:25 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Google finally phased out the old stock Gallery app in favor of the Photos app. Open Photos, swipe in from the left, and tap "On Device" to see your camera roll.

If you want something close to the old Gallery app, install QuickPic, which is excellent and free.
    11-18-2014 04:34 PM
    B Diddy
    Many thanks for your prompt response. After several reboots, the photos eventually materialised under the Photo icon. However, a several photos have lost much of the colour - they look a bit like an old colour photo print left in the full sun for too long. Also, we can't seem to download photos from emails. This function seems to have vanished. This is not too much of a major problem as we have other computers that can do this but this is an inconvenience as we use the Nexus to show photos of our grand children and our children's wedding ceremonies: (yes, we are 'silver surfers'!) Any ideas what to do?
    Incidentally, a number of Apps did not update after the changes to the system - including the BBC news site - although this problem seems to have rectified itself overnight.
    Many thanks
    bettya
    11-20-2014 07:06 AM
    The washed out photos--do they still look washed out when you select them and make them fullscreen? Or are they only washed out in the thumbnail view? If the latter, then do you also see a little arrowhead superimposed on the thumbnail? If so, that just means that there are more photos to view in the album, and if you tap that arrowhead, you'll see the whole album.

If you get a photo attached in an email, what happens when you tap it? It should go full screen, and if you tap the 3-vertical-dot menu button at the upper left corner, you should see a "Save" option. Once you tap Save, it will appear in your Downloads app/folder.

If you tap the image, and you only see a smaller version of the photo that doesn't fill the whole screen, it may not have fully downloaded to the temporary cache yet. You might see a little progress bar at the bottom of the image, which means the full image is still downloading. Once it has fully downloaded to the cache, it should become larger, after which you can zoom and see details. At this point, it's still only in the cache--not formally saved to your internal storage. Tap the Menu, and the Save option should be there.

It's a little confusing, I know--I hope this makes sense.
    11-20-2014 11:22 AM
    B.Diddy
    Thanks again for your prompt response.
    The washed out photos are various shades of blue/grey and are the same in thumbnail and full screen size.
    The email attached photos we are trying to download seem to be quite large but do not download. In fact, we can't even open them. We tried to download some earlier smaller photos to see what happens but noticed that our emails only go back one week so we couldn't find the emails with other photo attachments. All earlier emails on our hotmail account have vanished from the Nexus. We also noticed that the emails are SLOW updating although working okay on our other computers.
    Just noticed on BBC news that the latest update is causing problems with some Nexus 7 tablets and it looks like our Nexus is one of them. Hopefully, there will be a fix. I am sending and viewing this exchange on my Surface tablet.
    Any ideas that you have to help us mitigate some of the problems will be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    bettya
    11-20-2014 02:35 PM
    Are those washed-out photos locally stored (as opposed to being in the cloud)? Can you actually find them using a file manager like ES File Explorer?

Which email app are you using--the stock Email app? If so, open it, tap Menu, then Settings, and look in the specific email account's settings for any option that might limit the size of any attachment download. I just saw a post from someone else here who had a similar issue on their S5, and he solved it by finding that setting in the Email app's menu.

EDIT: Here's that other thread: Viewing email attachment, it wont work ??
    11-20-2014 04:00 PM
    Hi B. Diddy

Thanks again for your reply.
    The number of faded photos has increased slightly. These photos are stored on the Nexus under what is now the Photo icon.To view a photo, we just scroll through the thumbnails and click on what we want. Fortunately only a few photos have faded (so far). We don't use the cloud. Really important photos are copied onto separate external hard drives with hard copies taken of the best. So we don't have an issue with losing photos it's just a convenience when we want to view them. I'm not too sure what theES File Explorer is.

Emails are now accessed via the Gmail icon. There is a settings icon but nothing in it that controls or limits the size of downloads.
    We are noticing other problems with the 2012 Nexus 7 including extreme slooooooowness and there is an article on the BBC web regarding this latest update with our Nexus having the most problems. Hopefully there will be a fix that works and resolves the annoying problems released asap.
    Thanks again for your assistance.
    bettya
    11-21-2014 11:18 AM
    Remember that photos aren't actually stored in the Photos app--they're stored in a folder in the Internal Storage, and the Photos app will scan all storage areas for images. Have you tried a different gallery app to view the photos? Try QuickPic, which is an excellent gallery replacement. See if you get the washed out colors there.

The Lollipop update on the 2012 N7 doesn't seem to be working very well in general. Mine was already a little slow, but now it has slowed down further. Hopefully they'll come out with a quick incremental update.
    11-21-2014 04:24 PM
    Thanks again for your help.
    Quickpic has not solved the problem. Interestingly, the faded photos are only photos taken on the Nexus and not to the downloaded photos. The order of some of the photos are well mixed up.
    Hopefully, fix is on its way that will bring order to the chaos.
    regards
    bettya
    11-22-2014 03:45 PM
    sorry to bother u guys bt i cant figure out hw to hav fotos from my google photos app to quickpic?
    11-24-2014 10:27 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are your Google Photos locally saved, or are they all in the cloud? QuickPic does support cloud albums, but I'd have to look at it in more detail to see how to make them show up.
    11-24-2014 10:42 PM
    Saw your other post and responded there: How do I retore my pictures from Google Photos to Quickpic?
    11-25-2014 12:43 AM