Why do chargers stop working when connecting to the phone?

JKHTCOneX

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Charger stop working when connecting phone

Hello,

Since yesterday I'm experiencing strange problem with my HTC One X. I was charging my phone with same charger over a year now. However now even though I connect charger to the phone, phone is not charging. I used another charger which have LED indicator. Each time when I'm connecting phone to the charger, LED is going dead and phone is not charging. I tried another power sockets at home and office. My car charger also disables itself when I'm connecting my phone to it. I tried about 10 different chargers which I'm pretty sure they are operational because my work colleagues are using them all the time and also I had been using them from time to time. Taking under consideration that I tried so many phone chargers and in many different locations I conclude that there is something wrong with the phone but I don't really understand what can it be. I looked inside the micro USB port on the phone and I couldn't find any pocket dust inside of it. It looks relatively clean. There is also no problem with port being loose. Charger plugs without problems and it stays inside the port. I never needed to keep plug under wired angels to charge my phone. There was no shock or water damage. Although my contract is over in 4 days... :)
Any of you experienced this kind of problem? Please share solution.

Regards,
J

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Charger stop working when connecting phone

My diagnosis is a short in the phone bad enough to cause the charger to shut down. (There are parts that can just short - just because they fail - and a shorted capacitor across the charging pins would shut the charger down.) As fredjohnson said, if it's under warranty, get it replaced. If not, it's going to have to go to the shop. (A dead battery wouldn't cause the charger to shut down, it just wouldn't hold a charge. If it shorted it would be obvious by the flames coming out of the phone [if you're lucky and the battery didn't just explode].)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Charger stop working when connecting phone

What Rukbat said. I repair laptops for work, we see similar on those from time to time, usually need to replace the logic board or some other part of the power system (cable and plug from the back of the unit to the logic board) to resolve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay