USB debugging

b7girl

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I've heard a lot about debugging and in general being aware of the access said USB port has to your phone and its info.

My question is. I want to charge my phone at work using the computer but I don't want the computer having access to any of my files. I've turned off debugging from developer mode but I'm not savy enough to really feel that I've taken all necessary steps... anyone have any advice or things I should do?

Thanks. Sorry if this has been covered I didn't see anything

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) "The computer" doesn't "have access" to the data on your phone - if you run a sync program, or you copy files from the phone to the computer, the computer will have data from your phone. Unless your employer has spent a lot of time and money to install drivers for all phones and "data stealing" programs for all phones, on every computer, the computer won't have any data from your phone.

2) If, when you plug the phone into the computer, it tells you that it needs to look for a driver, tell it no.

3) USB Debugging has nothing to do with charging. You have to run software on the computer (typically adb) to use USB debugging on the phone.

4) There are cables, most of them used for things like wireless headsets, that have only 2 wires - for power. The other 2 - the data wires - aren't in the cable. (Charging doesn't need data wires, copper is expensive, every penny saved ... etc.) If you use none of those cables, the computer won't even know that there's a phone plugged into it - it'll just know that something's drawing current from it. You can steal data from a phone over the charging wires as easily as you can steal data from a computer over the power lines ... or fly to Mars by flapping your arms.

5) Carry a little USB charger with you and plug it into the wall. Then the phone isn't connected to the computer, so there's no question. (I always have a charger and one of those little roll-up cables in my pocket.)

b7girl

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I knew that there were data transfer wires in charger cables and my company informed me if I used my phone for work related things such as checking email they could legally search my phone and all its content. I just wanted to dot my I's and cross my t's too keep my information private.

Thanks for the info :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma