Why am I getting error messages when trying to sync my Google contacts?

Junda Huang

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Google Play Services has stopped/ Unable to sync contacts and Gmail/Calender

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Just got ASUS Zenfone 5 and the sync with Google does not seem to be working.
Cannot syn my contacts and Gmail.
Unable to access Play Store, keep telling me I need to sign in to my account and Retry even though I already have signed into Google account

Tried methods such as resetting the time zone, deleting and installing back my Google account but error messages keep appearing such as:
"Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped"
"Unfortunately, Google Calender Sync has stopped"
"Unfortunately, Hangout has stopped"
"Cannot connect to the server"

Been struggling with this for a while already. Anyone can help pls? Many thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Play Services has stopped/ Unable to sync contacts and Gmail/Calender

Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Accounts and removing your Google account, then adding it back again.

If that doesn't help, try booting into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from starting up. If the problems resolve, then something you installed is likely causing the instability. To get to Safe Mode on most Android devices, while it's powered on, press Power until the power menu appears. Then press and hold Power Off until you see the Safe Mode prompt. Tap OK.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Play Services has stopped/ Unable to sync contacts and Gmail/Calender

To add to this, if none of the advice given works, I would back up anything you have on your phone to either your computer or a cloud storage service, and give a factory reset a shot.