Should I pick a Moto X 2014 or a Nexus 6?

fitur

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've always loved using Android phones but decided to give iOS a chance and bought an iPhone 5s last year, which replaced my Nexus 4.
The fingerprint scanner, iMessage, Passbook and the camera are the only things that I find useful with the iPhone and its operative system and have now decided to either buy a Moto X 2014 or a Nexus 6.

Going from a phone as tiny as the iPhone 5s, I have to respect the size of both my new choices. I've had the possibility to mess with the new Moto X and I can safely say that the size of it perfectly fits the size of my hand.

The thing, though, is that I would rather buy a Nexus phone just because of the branding. I want a phone with pure Android instead of, lets say, a Samsung phone with tons of bloatware, etc.

How is Motorola handling this with it's specific software?
Is the Nexus 6 much bigger than the Moto X 2014?
Would my regular sized hands force me to use a Nexus 6 with both hands?
What are the real big differences besides the screen size?
Are both phones compatible with the Moto 360?
Are there any good alternatives to Samsung Knox on either phone?

Help me get back on track. The iPhone is too basic and mainstream for me.
Thanks!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I would go Moto X 2014--unless you're planning on rooting. If you want to root and do custom roms and such then definitely get a nexus. That's what the nexus was built for. You can get an unlocked moto x and you will be getting pretty much a pure android experience. You will still get super fast updates and the moto x is definitely more size friendly. Also on moto x you can customize the way your phone looks and you can't on the nexus. Being able to customize your back can make the phone easier to hold. My husband has the nexus and it is definitely huge, but doesn't feel bad in the hand. The midnight blue back is a grease magnet and the battery life is just ok. As for your questions:
1. Moto X running kitkat is amazing. Nexus running lollipop will be amazing, but there are some bugs as with any new software revamp. Motorola is quick with updates so no worries on either phone there.
2. Good God yes the nexus is sooooooooooo much bigger than the moto x
3. I don't know how anyone uses the nexus with one hand.
4. The software is the biggest difference. Moto x is pretty great out of the box. Nexus (at least right now) is good but is better with custom ROMs so could possibly require tweaking.
5. Both should be compatible. Double check that moto 360 is compatible with lollipop.
6. I don't know the answer to this.

My personal preference would be the moto x. However, if you think that you want to get into rooting (jailbreaking) and custom ROMs then definitely go with the nexus. Good luck!!

fitur

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I would go Moto X 2014--unless you're planning on rooting. If you want to root and do custom roms and such then definitely get a nexus. That's what the nexus was built for.

Thanks for the quick answers! I assume rooting is also possible on the Moto X?
I've rooted and installed custom roms on all my Android devices in the past, without any issues at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital