Why is my phone using more storage then I actually am?

Zarith Zainudin

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Need help with Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 storage

I just installed GTA San Andreas from the Google Play store on my phone which used up 2.4GB of space that left me with only 600MB out of 8GB of storage space. After a while I decided to uninstall it so I dragged and dropped it to the "Remove" icon on the phone. But my storage didn't go up, the app has been uninstalled since I cannot find it on my phone and when I go to the "Google play" store for GTA San Andreas, it will ask me to install it since I had purchased it. So that indicates I already uninstall the application but my storage still didn't went up. I can't even Install GTA San Andreas anymore from the "Google Play" store because of "insufficient storage" but it worked the first time before. I plugged my phone to my computer and didn't find any files related to GTA San Andreas (enabled hidden file). I also checked my Storage information, it says I have a Total space of 8GB. 2.83GB for System Memory which is important and can't be deleted, 4.2 Used Space, 104MB Cached Data, 28MB Misc files and ends me up with 525MB. I clicked on the "Used Space" and I was definitely NOT using 4.2GB. In the Used Space tab, I was using 1.66GB on Apps, 9MB on Pictures and Videos, 148KB on Audio and 23MB on Downloads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need help with Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 storage

Welcome to Android Central! Do you remember exactly how you tried to uninstall it? Usually, dragging and dropping to a "Remove" area means you're just removing the shortcut from the homescreen. How did you initially install GTA--from the Google Play Store? From Amazon Appstore? As an apk file?

Zarith Zainudin

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site

Well I purchase the game from the Google play store and install it right away via the play store. I uninstall it by just simply moving the file to the "Uninstall" icon and accepted the prompt that told me if I wanted to uninstall the app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Use a file manager app and look for any folder that might be called "GTA" or "Rock star." Make sure you check subfolders of the /storage/sdcard0/data and /storage/sdcard0/Android folders. If you find a related folder, look for and delete large files like .obb files.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) That icon is usually "Remove", not "Uninstall". The difference is that Remove just removes the icon from the homepage, it doesn't actually uninstall the app. You have to run Application manager (in Settings/General) to uninstall the app. That should also remove the folders that B. Diddy mentioned. Also look in Settings/General/Storage/Miscellaneous for an entry relating to the app (GTASA or GTA San Andreas or something like that). Check that entry, then press the trash can at the top to delete the app's data.

2) The Play Store page will not indicate whether you have the app installed, it will only indicate whether you once installed it. (Install an app from the Play Store, uninstall it with Application manager and go back to the Play Store and it will say "Installed" instead of "Install", or indicate that you can just install it if it's a paid app and you already installed it. You're looking at what Google knows about your account and the app, not what it knows about your phone - which is nothing other than make and model).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

2) The Play Store page will not indicate whether you have the app installed, it will only indicate whether you once installed it. (Install an app from the Play Store, uninstall it with Application manager and go back to the Play Store and it will say "Installed" instead of "Install", or indicate that you can just install it if it's a paid app and you already installed it. You're looking at what Google knows about your account and the app, not what it knows about your phone - which is nothing other than make and model).

Good points, Rukbat, but on the Play Store app, if you actually select the app to look at the details, it will actually have an Install button if the app isn't presently installed. If you're just looking at the overview (i.e., the list of apps), it will say Installed, as you say. Just thought I'd clarify that ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress