Hi,
    Will I be able to buy a Verizon Motorola Droid X2 from ebay for about $20 and not activate the phone service, and only use for making calls via wifi? I have looked around, someone said yes, then just read somewhere else and he said he was blocked by verizon on boot up. I have verizon as my cell service now but want to try wifi hoping for an even clearer audio quality. So Im reading conflicting information. Does anyone know? Obviously i will find out soon. Maybe have to try to root it? I already bought the phone yesterday on ebay.
    11-25-2014 01:09 PM
    Welcome to the forums. You might need a VoIP (Voice over Internet Provider) app, like GrooveIP.
    11-25-2014 02:51 PM
    Wifi itself will work. (You may have to go through a setup of some sort for the phone first, if the ROM was reflashed or reset to be like new, and Verizon does that sort of thing now [I dropped them years ago when I became a Cingular dealer].) Whether a particular wifi calling app will do what you want, Ooma (which is my home phone service and the app gives me my home phone connection on my Android phone), Vonage (which is supposed to do the same thing for Vonage customers), GrooveIP, etc., is another question.

(Verizon could, I suppose, prevent Android from running if you don't have an active account, but that would probably cost them so much in complaints, repairs, etc., that giving away free phones without requiring an account would probably be cheaper.)
    11-25-2014 05:51 PM