I have a Nexus 6 on the way, should be here by Thursday, so I am taking the time now to get all my info and music transferred into the Google ecosystem. But I am being stopped dead in my tracks by Google's demand that I provide a credit card to even download their Music Manager.

I have no credit or debit card except for my Google Wallet Mastercard. I know I am not the only person in the world who does not have a debit or credit card. Its actually becoming more and more common as banks and credit card companies are becoming increasingly expensive to deal with.

Before someone asks how Ioad on to the card, I have a family member who I pay cash who sends me the money via Wallet to put money on the card for me to use. I've made numerous transactions with both the Wallet balance and the Wallet Mastercard, and the Wallet Mastercard is registered to my addess.

But when attempting to download the Google Music Manager Player, from play.google.com/music/listen, I can not get past the demand that I provide a debit or credit card. Having a Google Wallet account, with a Google Wallet Mastercard, is not a valid form of ID for the system. It claims it is legally required to obtain a credit card number from me to verify my country of residence. Yet no other service like Spotify or iTunes has such a requirement.

I have spoken directly to Google Play Support, and they are completely clueless as to why I am having an issue. Its obvious that the people I have spoken to have never even installed the music manager personally because they keep insisting that there is no such requirement that I provide a credit card. Yet I can find articles from as old as 2011 that discuss the exact issue I am having.

The three reps I've been transfered to all keep trying to help me with trying to download an actual song, but my issue is I can't even download the player that would allow me to buy a song in the first place.

Searches on this issue come up with almost nothing. The only workarounds I found involve using fake credit card numbers, which doesn't actually work since their is no way to fake a CCV number. Not that I would mess with something like that anyways.

So, does anyone here know how I can download the Google Play Music Manager without providing a credit card number? I am not trying to use any premium Google service, or make a purchase of any kind.
    11-28-2014 11:35 PM
    It's hard for me to replicate this, because I already have everything set up in my Google Play Music and Google Wallet. But I just tried with my wife's Google account (and I know she doesn't have Google Music set up, nor does she have a credit card in her Google Wallet), and it downloaded fine.

Try this link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cGE&cad=rjt
    11-29-2014 12:04 AM
    Nope, you linked the EXACT same website I said I went to already. Following the prompts to download the manager REQUIRES that I add a credit or debit card to my Wallet account. So your claim that your wife does not have a credit or debit card tied to her Wallet account is obviously a mistake on your part.

Here are 5 screenshots to show every single prompt the site gives me.
    11-29-2014 12:20 AM
    I wasn't trying to point out any mistakes at all, if that's what you're thinking. Just trying to help.

It was difficult for me to tell if the link I posted above was exactly the same as the one you mentioned, because you said play.google.com/music/listen. The actual URL of the link I posted above is clearly not the same one letter for letter, but ends up linking to the same site. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some subtle difference between the two. When I enter play.google.com/music/listen in my browser, it just goes directly to my Google Play Music library.

You're right about my wife's Google Wallet--there was a card associated, but it was long expired. So I removed it from her Wallet--but I was still able to install Music Manager afterwards, even with no credit card nor debit card registered in Wallet. Not sure if the simple presence of a valid credit card some time in the past allowed this.

Good luck with figuring this out.
    11-29-2014 01:59 AM
    Actually, one more question, based on your screenshots. Did you actually click "Get Started" when it prompted you about All Access (when it talks about "Unlimited music")? If so, that might be why it's asking for your credit card. Make sure you click "No Thanks" there.
    11-29-2014 02:04 AM
    Because your wife's Wallet account had a card associated with it at point in the past, it means that your address has already been verified via a credit card. That card expiring, or you removing the card after the fact is irrelevant.

Moving on, PLEASE read what I posted. I'm not some ***** when it comes to using the internet or tech, of any kind. Of course I clicked No Thanks, and even said in my original post that I am not attempting to sign up for the premium service. Also look at the 4th screenshot, it even says "You will not be charged for the Standard Service", showing right there that I did not select the premium option.

Also, if you take 10 seconds to do a search on this issue, you will find articles going back to 2011 that talk about the exact same thing that I am talking about now. I mentioned those articles in my original post as well. The issue of requiring a credit or debit card to even download the program, even when NO purchase of any kind is being made, is one of the big issues that people brought up as to why Google would never have a successful music platform like iTunes or Spotify. Not only is it a barrier that people like myself have no way of overcoming, but its a barrier that many people will not feel comfortable with.

I'll simplify this even more. Imagine if you had to give Apple your credit card just download iTunes. Not to buy anything from iTunes, no purchase of any kind, JUST the download. People would riot in the streets. But that is exactly what Google is doing and I am coming here to see if anyone knows of a way to bypass that.

The problem is not with anything I am doing, so stop trying to claim that it is. Google requires that your Google Wallet account, at some point in its history, have a credit or debit card attached to it as a way to verify your address. I need a way around that.

One said article, from 2011, talking about the requirement of a credit card:
    benzinga.com/tech/11/11/2140265/five-reasons-why-google-music-will-fail

"2. No Signup Without a Credit Card

Now this is a genius business move. And by “genius” I mean “the worst decision in the history of iTunes competitors.” While I would expect a small-town competitor to pull a stunt like this, it is absurd that Google – a large and highly respected corporation – would force its users to provide their personal billing information even if they aren't buying any music. You can't even download a free song without giving Google your credit card number. That is insane! It's even worse than Spotify's convoluted signup procedure that requires new users to login with their Facebook account.

I know why Spotify is doing this: to use Facebook data to its advantage. And I know why Google is forcing music lovers to enter their credit card info: because it thinks we will be more likely to spend money on the service if they already have our payment info on hand. But while some may accept the idea of a Facebook login, most people are not likely to hand over their credit card info until they are ready to make a purchase."
    11-29-2014 02:31 AM
    Ok. Like I said, I was simply trying to help. I'll stop now.
    Ry and Elbeeuk like this.
    11-29-2014 03:19 AM