New or used Android phone? How to tell?

Glonk

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought a 'new and sealed' Android phone from ebay from a reputable seller.
However it booted straight to the homescreen, bypassing any language select options and was already set-up in German language.

There was even a German text message on the phone with sim set-up details - suggesting a sim card had been put in and removed.

The seller is arguing that this was a sealed brand new phone - is what I've described possible on a new unused phone?

Also the two official Samsung box stickers had a very thin cut across them - with a clear plastic sticker over one of them which was intact.

I'm not sure if the thin cut was a perforation on the sticker and also not sure if the clear plastic sticker was even supposed to be there.

Finally I'm also concerned that the Android software may have been tampered with - is this also possible?

Thanks for any help!

itsVesper

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
This has been used. Dispute it over eBay and try and get a refund.

Buying online can be a good deal, but be careful how you do it. When buying on eBay, check the amount of positive reviews the people have, and look through the comments beforehand.

If you were purchasing on eBay to try and get a better deal, i'd recommend a factory refurb. These are official refurbs from the same company, a lot of the time, these devices look and feel like new, but are considerably cheaper.

If all else fails and you're stuck with the phone, find out how to trigger a factory reset on the phone. This should remove any dodgey software that may be installed

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the OP was sensible. I bought a Note 3 factory sealed on ebay and all was good.

What I thought to suggest, if you have not changed anything yet, is take a photo or a screenshot of the message ; also the Status page in About Device with any carrier and imei information, and if there are any APN settings in More Networks - Mobile Networks.

I was hoping more expert members would have better ideas re the imei # and additional proof on the phone to send to the seller or ebay.

From my SM-N9005 Note 3 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most phones start at a setup app - your gmail address, the phone's "name" (whatever you want to call it), etc. If it were mine, I'd do what itsVesper said - get a refund including the shipping cost, if any (and have the seller pay return shipping).