Which is the best value small-tablet?

itsVesper

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
NAlright, I've recently looked into small-tablets, and well, i've grown a liking to them. I want to use a tablet around college a lot, to read notes as well as tweeting, playing 1 or 2 games, and streaming videos. Now, i'm really stuck. I cannot pick between 2 tablets which reviews seem to be split between.

Hudl 2 vs Nexus 7 (2013)

I tend to download videos if i cannot get internet access, as a result, the Hudl 2's SD card slot is really desirable, however, the Nexus 7 is trusted for speed that i want and need so much. Not to mention, Asus is a more reputable company for making tablets compared to Tesco. Battery life is a problem with both, but i have a cheap power hub i can take around in my bag, so it's not TOO much of a problem.

So here's my question, which tablet would be better for common, everyday usage. The Nexus is nice, but i would need to get a 32gb model, probably a manufacturer refurb. Whereas the Hudl's expandable storage would be very useful, but my concern here is about the tablet becoming slow (I got a £100 android phone once... It's left me with a soreness for budget android devices).

Anyone got any advice for which to pick? Or any suggestions for a different tablet?

(also, I might end up using it as a debug device for app-dev. But both should handle that fine)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd go for the Nexus 7, if you can get the 32 GB version. 32 GB is a ton of storage, so you'd have plenty of room to download videos (assuming that you only need them temporarily). The performance is excellent, and mine hasn't slowed down one bit after more than a year. Battery life is pretty good for me.

The Hudl 2 gets some decent reviews, but I've also read some complaints about a lot of bloatware that gets preinstalled, which reduces the amount of internal storage available to the user. The SD card is nice to have, but remember that it is primarily useful for media, not for app installation. So if you want to install a lot of apps (or some big apps), the Hudl 2 might get full more quickly than the Nexus 7.

itsVesper

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the advice. There's still one small thing bugging me ever so slightly though.

The Hudl 2 contains a 1.83GHz Atom Quad-Core processor while the Nexus 7 (2013) has a 1.51GHz Krait 300 quad-core.

Generally. What is the speed difference between the two. The Hudl 2 has a higher clocked processor, but does the specific architecture mean that one is considerably faster than the other?

Generally, That's the only thing i'm torn between. Which one is less likely to become redundant after, say, a year.

(also, By redundant i mean too slow to use lol. A lot of people think of it as "Isnt the newest anymore". I can keep using a device until it is too brutally slow to use, or broken)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon