How is my HTC Desire already out of internal storage?

TylerJohn95

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm a bit confused.. I bought the HTC Desire 510 on black-friday. The phone is advertised with 8Gb of Internal storage, but after downloading a couple apps it tells me there's not enough room on the phone. It didn't seem like I used up all the storage with just a couple apps, so I checked it out. In my phone's app settings it says 3.95gb/4.00gb, but in "App2SD" it says the phone has a total of 1.11gbs. So which is it? 8gb 4gb or 1gb? It's really frustrating..

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The Operating System takes up some of that 8GB.
It may only leave like 6GB for you to use.
Many apps these days take up alot of space.
If possible, look into maybe exchanging it for something with at least 16GB of storage. Anymore would be gravy and have plenty of space.
Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm a bit confused.. I bought the HTC Desire 510 on black-friday. The phone is advertised with 8Gb of Internal storage, but after downloading a couple apps it tells me there's not enough room on the phone. It didn't seem like I used up all the storage with just a couple apps, so I checked it out. In my phone's app settings it says 3.95gb/4.00gb, but in "App2SD" it says the phone has a total of 1.11gbs. So which is it? 8gb 4gb or 1gb? It's really frustrating..
That doesn't sound right though, I agree. I had a GS2 and now a Moto G both with 8gb. I mainly use a Note 3.

Were you looking at Storage settings, and on my Samsung you can tap Used Space in Storage to see the app space used. I am not familiar with HTC sense.
The non os part of the memory can be designated as internal sd memory sure, but unless your few apps were exceptionally large, you should have more space.

This is my 32gb Note 3. I don't have the Moto with me.

884f74d391499ab19b0a9ae6435470a1.jpg

1f000f09d612696fe6ffaa45c2b04255.jpg
1ab97d133bbd8fd409114b8e600138b6.jpg

a71dfb5fc331ae5fd0c2a6f23dea1e7d.jpg

From my SM-N9005 Note 3 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Storage is partitioned, like a hard drive is. Depending on the model, it could be a total of 8GB, 4GB of which is used to hold the system, 3 of which is used to hold databases and 1GB is free for user space (like apps, music, etc.)

It's like net weight, tare weight and gross weight. If you don't specify, you may be including the weight of the truck as part of the product it's delivering. Evidently your phone has 1GB of internal user storage, and a few apps can fill that pretty quickly these days. (As more and more utilities come out that allow people who have no idea what Java code even looks like, apps will get larger and larger. Shoehorns are no longer a part of the programmer's toolkit. The attitude seems to be "if it fits and runs on the simulation of my phone, that's good enough" - not realizing how many users won't buy that app because it won't fit on their phones with a few other apps in it.)

@Madd54:
Notice that, out of 32GB of internal storage, you have only 4.95GB free. That's a little more than 1/8 of total storage.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Storage is partitioned, like a hard drive is. Depending on the model, it could be a total of 8GB, 4GB of which is used to hold the system, 3 of which is used to hold databases and 1GB is free for user space (like apps, music, etc.)

It's like net weight, tare weight and gross weight. If you don't specify, you may be including the weight of the truck as part of the product it's delivering. Evidently your phone has 1GB of internal user storage, and a few apps can fill that pretty quickly these days. (As more and more utilities come out that allow people who have no idea what Java code even looks like, apps will get larger and larger. Shoehorns are no longer a part of the programmer's toolkit. The attitude seems to be "if it fits and runs on the simulation of my phone, that's good enough" - not realizing how many users won't buy that app because it won't fit on their phones with a few other apps in it.)

@Madd54:
Notice that, out of 32GB of internal storage, you have only 4.95GB free. That's a little more than 1/8 of total storage.
I know. . I had an sd card develop a fault some moths ago and finally decided I could be better without one (I had to do a 1st reset)
I should ditch all my videos and most of my pics as I have them copied on pc anyway. Like Android, I will ditch stuff when I need space, lol.

For the OP though, shouldn't he/she transfer some app data to sd card if possible. 1 gb for apps is cruel though, I didn't think some phones go so low. I have yet to check my Moto G at home.
Actually my previous S2 was 16gb of course, but I have a similar ton of apps I think on my Moto G 8gb. I shifted many to a 2gb card (don't laugh).

In other news:
You have been doing amazing work here Rukbat since I took a 2 month break from posting.
I think the tonnes of your excellent, detailed posts don't get the readership they deserve and that's a real shame.
I try to save a few to S-Notes for reference. I like your witty analogies also.

I gather you recently retired or semi retired from the industry, so we are lucky to have you as a recent ambassador.

An extra special round of applause from me here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=433960

But enough of this love-in...

back to the query... so the HTC Desire may only allow 1gb - ish for apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For the OP though, shouldn't he/she transfer some app data to sd card if possible. 1 gb for apps is cruel though, I didn't think some phones go so low.
Then you haven't been using Android phones very long. The cheaper phones made for Eclair had around 150MB free for apps.

All data that can be stored on the SD card should be - and it should be backed up to at least one other computer, preferably to a local computer (your laptop or desktop) and a couple of cloud accounts. (They're giving gigabytes away like it hurts to keep them.)

In other news:
You have been doing amazing work here Rukbat since I took a 2 month break from posting.
I think the tonnes of your excellent, detailed posts don't get the readership they deserve and that's a real shame.
Doesn't bother me in the least, but thanks for the kind words. If someone benefits from a post of mine, that's great. If not, I had fun looking the problem up and finding a solution. It beats going to work every day (which I did until I was about 70).

I try to save a few to S-Notes for reference.
I have loads of .txt files with little tidbits. Even when I was y9ounger I couldn't remember everything.

I like your witty analogies also.
I try.

I gather you recently retired or semi retired from the industry, so we are lucky to have you as a recent ambassador.
From the industry (and other allied ones, like programming and hardware design), yes. Recently? About 3 years ago. Fully retired, although if some quick (a few days or a week) job comes along, I might cut some more code.

back to the query... so the HTC Desire may only allow 1gb - ish for apps.
Looks like it. I've owned cheaper phones, so I know what it's like trying to juggle what you need and what's just backed up on the SD card to be reinstalled when you need it. And the relief when someone writes a ROM for the phone that mounts the SD card as the "internal" storage. I ran a Samsung Precedent (about 150MB) with 2GB of internal storage because someone did that.