Hi there,

I need some help, since I can't install The Sims FreePlay on my friend's Android phone. It's an Oppo R819.

The game is a 25MB download, after installing, it requires another 900MB for additional content. The problem is, it keeps saying "Device is full", though the phone has 12GB of available phone storage.

Phone memory is divided into "System Storage" with 1GB and "Phone Storage" with 12,5GB. Looks like the game forces me to install it on System instead of Phone. I've attached some screenshots.

Please help, it's a bit urgent as I have to finish this before tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Can't install the Sims FreePlay?-scr_20141203_125414.png   Can't install the Sims FreePlay?-scr_20141203_125844.png   Can't install the Sims FreePlay?-scr_20141203_125837.png  
    12-03-2014 12:12 AM
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with this device.
    Unfortunately, that's how it is with many phones.

If the phone has a SD slot and you're able to install the game on that card, I suggest you do that.
    12-03-2014 05:33 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the phone doesn't have an SD slot. I've read many reviews from Google Play, and looks like I'm not the only one. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: As I know, Android uses "Phone storage" as an SD card, not? I mean, "Phone storage" = "Internal" + "SD", right?
    12-03-2014 06:15 AM
    Go into system settings, and select Application Manager. Slide over to All. Go into some of the stock apps that you may not use (Hangouts, Google Books, Google+, etc.). Select the app, for instance, Hangouts. First, clear cache & data. Second, uninstall (if it's indicated) to uninstall it's latest update. Third, select disable (prevents Playstore auto update). This may free up enough App space. I suspect your SIM game installs the app into app space, but it's 900 mb download stuff goes into system storage, not app space. If you do not have an SD Card, then it is possible that your system storage could get full from lots of pictures, videos etc. You would have to use a file manager to view your files and backup to another source (Dropbox...) Then delete.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-03-2014 07:34 AM
    Go into system settings, and select Application Manager. Slide over to All. Go into some of the stock apps that you may not use (Hangouts, Google Books, Google+, etc.). Select the app, for instance, Hangouts. First, clear cache & data. Second, uninstall (if it's indicated) to uninstall it's latest update. Third, select disable (prevents Playstore auto update). This may free up enough App space. I suspect your SIM game installs the app into app space, but it's 900 mb download stuff goes into system storage, not app space. If you do not have an SD Card, then it is possible that your system storage could get full from lots of pictures, videos etc. You would have to use a file manager to view your files and backup to another source (Dropbox...) Then delete.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks for the detailed instruction. Just as you suspected, that 900MB was asking for the system storage. Also, as I think, the System storage is... RAM, as the phone also has 1GB of RAM. Ridiculous. I tried clearing everything there, but still, I couldn't manage to make 900MB free out of just 1GB of RAM! If I want to do so, guess I have to uninstall the whole OS. Any method to make the game download to the phone storage instead?
    12-03-2014 09:35 AM
    Also, as I think, the System storage is... RAM
    No, RAM is where the apps run, not where the files are stored.

I tried clearing everything there
    In RAM? Huge mistake. Multitasking the Android Way (I never argue with someone who wrote the code, at least not as far as how it works.)

but still, I couldn't manage to make 900MB free out of just 1GB of RAM!
    Wouldn't have mattered if you did - an app requires storage space in ROM, not in RAM. (RAM content disappears when you turn the phone off.)

If I want to do so, guess I have to uninstall the whole OS. Any method to make the game download to the phone storage instead?
    As with Stargate, I'm not familiar with that device, but it says "Change the preferred installation location for new apps" on one of those screen shots, so there should be some way to do that. Maybe press that line? At worst, run Link2SD and change it in there.
    12-03-2014 03:19 PM
    No, RAM is where the apps run, not where the files are stored.

Of course I know what RAM is. I have average tech knowledge.

In RAM? Huge mistake.
    Wouldn't have mattered if you did - an app requires storage space in ROM, not in RAM. (RAM content disappears when you turn the phone off.)

I'm not sure if "system storage" is RAM, though. The phone has 12,5GB of internal (16GB in specifications), which is indicated as "phone storage" with that exactly size, while the "system memory", weirdly, has exactly the same size as the phone's RAM, that's why I had that conclusion.

However, one thing I'm sure, is that the game forces me to download additional contents onto that 1GB "system storage", instead of the 12GB "phone storage".

As with Stargate, I'm not familiar with that device, but it says "Change the preferred installation location for new apps" on one of those screen shots, so there should be some way to do that. Maybe press that line?

Even I'm not familiar with the device, either, as it's my friend's. Of course that option was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work with this game. Looks like the game decides the install location by itself.

At worst, run Link2SD and change it in there.

Honestly, I don't think it will work, as the app can only move installed data, unlike this one - it hasn't even been installed yet! However, I will try it out and update the results here. Thanks for the link.
    12-03-2014 06:51 PM
    I've tried Link2SD. It indicates "system storage" as "internal", while 12,45GB of "phone storage" is indicated as "SD card". The app couldn't help free the system storage, though.
    12-03-2014 09:52 PM
    Of course I know what RAM is. I have average tech knowledge.
    Then why did you try to free RAM to install an app in ROM?

I'm not sure if "system storage" is RAM, though.
    No, storage in a phone is ROM, like storage in a desktop is hard drive.

The phone has 12,5GB of internal (16GB in specifications), which is indicated as "phone storage" with that exactly size, while the "system memory", weirdly, has exactly the same size as the phone's RAM, that's why I had that conclusion.
    The ROM is partitioned, some for the system, some for recovery (which is really a stripped-down Android, some for apps, etc.

However, one thing I'm sure, is that the game forces me to download additional contents onto that 1GB "system storage", instead of the 12GB "phone storage".
    No, the phone forces you to do that. A file can't determine where it's stored when it's downloaded.

Even I'm not familiar with the device, either, as it's my friend's. Of course that option was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work with this game. Looks like the game decides the install location by itself.
    Once the game is installed and running, it may download more of itself, and then it could decide to install it to sd0 instead of sd1, since many phones no longer have an sd1.

As far as Link2SD, it can change the default installation location from internal to external. Or you could flash a ROM that mounts the SD card as the "internal" storage. (Or modify fstab to do it.)
    12-03-2014 10:08 PM
    Then why did you try to free RAM to install an app in ROM?
    Nah, as I said, I was trying to free the "System storage", which I suspected that it was RAM. Now as you said, the storage is partitioned into "System" and "Phone", now okay, I got it. I'm not an Android users, so I'm unfamiliar to this.

No, the phone forces you to do that. A file can't determine where it's stored when it's downloaded.
    No, the game does, not the phone. I'm sure. The game forces me to download ADDITIONAL CONTENTS onto system storage, not the phone. That's the problem. I installed the file from CH Play easily, but couldn't download additional contents. Take a look at the screenshot I attached in my OP.

As far as Link2SD, it can change the default installation location from internal to external. Or you could flash a ROM that mounts the SD card as the "internal" storage. (Or modify fstab to do it.)
    I know there are ways to re-partition the storage, but they sound too much for an Android newbie like me, so I think I'll give up.
    12-03-2014 10:19 PM