How can I turn my LED off overnight?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a profile to turn my phone to silent/no connectivity at night and then I plug my phone in to charge and use it as an alarm and night clock.

Unfortunately the charge status LED is very bright and annoying if I am having trouble sleeping. I now put a slicker of tape over the LED at night. (a piece of tape is my app)

Does anyone know of a simple widget that will allow me inactivate the LED at night and turn it back on in the morning (or whenever).

I searched the Google app store and there are lots of LED apps but they are either for the flashlight or offer super advance LED notifications.

I just need on/off.

Besides tape, the other workaround is not to plug the phone in so the charge status indicator LED does not come on. However, then my phone is not fully charged in the morning.

Thanks!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Without rooting the device, there likely is not away to turn off the led when charging. Even with root, I'm not sure of what can be used to disable it. Tape or turning the device over while charging maybe the only solutions.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know there is no way to disable this feature with these two exceptions, rooting the device, and possibly Tasker. Rooting will be the free way, Tasker costs but may not offer your device the option you are looking for. If you search Tasker on line, not at the PS, they used to offer a free trial. You have all of the functions of the app, but it expires. Both are going to take a learning curve to figure out, but if you go either route both will open up so many other options for things you can do with your phone. Or you could flip it on it's face which would require you to flip it to see the time, but how often are you really looking at the time in the night?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Update: I found an app called "Disable Charging LED" - it sounds like it does not turn off the LED but changes the LED to Dark Grey when charging?? Paid app so I have 15 minutes to test it.

Unfortunately I can't root yet. I have and AT&T Note Edge, not sure if it will ever be rootable which will drive me nuts. Also, flipping over worked with my old phone because it did not have a cool night clock on the edge screen that displayed at night. To see the clock on the side wedge the phone needs to be face up.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Found this: Settings -> Device -> Display -> Led Indicator on/off

This is what it does when checked: "Light up the LED while the screen is off whenever the device status changes, notifications are received...."

I unchecked it and the LED does not come in when charging and screen is off.

Now all I need is a widget to easily check and uncheck that box without needing to go into settings each morning and night.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
There was another app someone was talking about similar to Tasker, the way they described it, but I haven't actually seen or tried it if I could remember what it was called. So I have no experience with it to say what it can or cannot do. Having said that Tasker will allow you to create custom toggles/widgets for your home screen. Not sure if something like Beautiful Widgets or a launcher would also allow you to do something like that, but a lot of those are free.