Nexus 9 or Samsung Gallaxy S 10.5, which to replace laptop?

homeinhevn1

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
We use laptop HDMI connection to TV quite frequently. Do either of these tablets have this capability? Also use MS word and excel. Is there an office type program compatible on either of these tablets?

homeinhevn1

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
We don't have a tablet in the family yet and tired of carrying around laptop. Current laptop isn't dead yet but will be soon. Really not looking to buy another laptop at this point. Does the Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 have the hdmi connection capability? I guess I'm leaning toward it because we have a Samsung Note phones and Samsung HDTV. Always seem to love Samsung.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 have the hdmi connection capability?
It does, but you'll have to experiment to find out which adapter will work on it, or you'll have to buy the Samsung adapter (about $60). (Android devices have MHL output - you need an MHL-to-HDMI adapter.)

The Note 10 (I don't know about the 10.5) can mirror using Chromecast. (And, of course, any Samsung device can mirror to a modern Samsung TV.)

But the difference between a laptop and a tablet is a lot. A laptop, even a cheap one, gives you a LOT more storage, full programs, not just for office documents, a better keyboard if you're going to be doing more than texts and emails (watch the increase in carpal tunnel syndrome cases in a few years, as millions of people type for hours on a tablet without an external keyboard), more interfacing (e-Sata, more USB, automatic USB host mode, externally available card reader on many of them, easy to connect a larger screen or even a huge TV, easy-to-replace battery if you ever need to, etc., etc.) And with current devices, you get a lot more CPU power and a lot more RAM in even a cheap laptop than in an expensive tablet (and that counts for multitasking and speed).