How can I set the Messaging app to use the full phone number?

sgwsgw

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Messaging app (stock) not using full phone number to send text/sms

I am using Android 4.2 Jelly Bean stock Messaging App and the get "message not sent" error whenever I use my contact to send the message. I noticed that the Messaging App is not be using the full 10 digit number to send the text/sms. If I manually enter the full number, e.g., 155551234567 then the message is sent successfully. But if I use the contact then it only shows in the top display that 123-4567 number and then it will fail to send any text/sms.

How can I set the Messaging App to use the full phone number? I did not find any setting for this anywhere so far.

Thank you for any help.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Messaging app (stock) not using full phone number to send text/sms

You'll probably have to change all your contacts to include the full 10 digits. That's how text messages are sent, because they rely on the full 10 numbers to deliver the message to the correct phone.

For example, let's say my phone number is 555 222 1234, and your phone number is 545 222 1234. That's just 2 possible area codes out of hundreds across the entire planet. The mobile networks need that full 10 digit identifier to know where to send the message to. With just 7 digits (222-1234) there are probably 500 people who could get that message, and only ONE of them is the person you're trying to text!

Go through your contacts, and add the proper area code to everyone's phone number. I'm pretty sure it will solve your problem

sgwsgw

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I do have full 10 digit or 9 digit number in all my contacts. The thing was it was working fine till about a week ago. Since then I have been trying to figure out why it is like this.

I had installed Clean Master just before that and cleared my cache, etc. I removed it but the problem still persists.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Just as a side note, if you're in the US or Canada, the 1 at the beginning (the country code for both the US and Canada) is assumed by the cellphone network and is ignored, so you don't have to put it in there.

As far as why your text app isn't picking up the entire number, I can't say, but you can install a different text app (like Go SMS) and see if it works. If it also doesn't, your contact list is somehow damaged. If it is, your text app is bad.