12-08-2014 12:12 PM
My grandma is latley getting quite fragile and calling her all the time feels kind of likebothering her too much so we "younger" in the family wonder if there is an app for a tablet that basically is just one big button that she can press maybe one every day of so and that send us others some kind of notification that she is still ok and nothing has happened.
After searching on google I only found Life360 which seems to have that functionality but since my grandma never has used a tablet it feels like the app has too many functions. I want it as basic as possible.
Does an app like that exist? Would be really helpful.
Cheers!12-08-2014 08:08 AMLike 0
- I looked at a few of the family locator apps, the single button solution was Pager.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...crazybob.pager12-08-2014 08:48 AMLike 1
- You could use an app like FourSquare or Swarm, not sure which will have the functionality like you're looking for since they split it into two apps, but it can automatically check in at locations. The way it would work is you set her up an account, list her home as a check in location then set it to automatically check in when she's within range. When you set up her home as a check in location listing it as private will generalize its location on a map so you don't have to worry about strangers showing up on her doorstep. You would have the app as well and become her friend then each time it checks in you would get a check in notification and know she's home. Plus it's all free. Now doing it this way has the disadvantage of if she leaves the device home all the time it wouldn't check her in daily or anything, and with no actual interaction on her part you wouldn't really know she was OK, just where she is which would be your indication I guess. Setting it to automatically check her in would have the advantage of telling you anyplace she goes because auto check in would check her in at any FourSquare location. Which is almost everywhere, grocery store, mall, water dept., anywhere someone else has created a check in, which is again is just about everywhere.
There is also a paid app that would allow you to set up some profiles which would allow you to do basically the same thing called Tasker. With Tasker you could set up a profile where if she opens an app on the Tablet, one that she opens everyday it would send you a text saying whatever you want it to say. So it could say Grandma is playing candycrush, each time she opens it, and you wouldn't be limited to one app you could do it with as many apps as you wanted, each with its own text. The texts can be sent to as many people as you want and it would be a little more interactive because she would have to do something in order for it to work, but it wouldn't require her to do anything thing she's not already doing. So nothing to learn or for her to remember to do to let you know she's up and doing something. You could also set up a profile for when she leaves, so say she moves 500 to 600 meters from the house it could send you a text saying Grandma is leaving home. Of course that would only work if she is taking the tablet with her. But it would also have the advantage of telling you when she arrives someplace, which would take a little more setting up on your part, but you could put the location of her Dr.'s office, the mall, grocery store, etc. places that you know she goes regularly each with its own individual text message identifying where she is. Again no input on her end she just has to have the tablet with her for it to work.
I know some carriers have location programs that allow you to know where a device is and with Verizon at least will tell you calls and texts that are made, and apps that have been used, however it costs and may only work if the devices are on the same plan. However there may be a way to give permission for a device to be added if it's not on the same plan because I know there is an app that goes along with the service. It'd be a little more like spying than maybe what you want but being family and having the concern you do it could be an option.12-08-2014 09:08 AMLike 1
- Or you could buy Tasker, learn a little bit, write a task and convert it to an icon on the homescreen. It would text a group (your family) saying something like "I'm still here pressing the icon". There could even be a second task (with a second button on the homescreen" sending a task saying "I'm not okay, I need someone here".12-08-2014 09:56 AMLike 2
- Thanks for the answer guys. Foursquare or Swarm are probably too intruitive for her liking.
But I might give pager a try. Creating icons with tasker would probably work too.
After some more googling I found some emergency button apps with widgets that also seem to do what I want. So I'll try those too.
Anyway. thanks for the answers ^^12-08-2014 12:12 PMLike 0
- By Ricky Hughes in forum Android AppsReplies: 5Last Post: 12-12-2014, 06:36 PM
- By archan111 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
- By Rashid Mohamed in forum HTC One MiniReplies: 1Last Post: 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD