Should I keep my Xperia Z3?

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Help with making a decision

I'm new to Android. Have recently upgraded from the Lumia 1020 to the Xperia Z3. I really like the new phone but there have been quite a few issues and compromises along the way.

First off, I'm struggling with the camera. I used to take most of my 1020 photos in manual mode and the results were excellent...they were pretty good in auto mode too. I expected a trade off in image quality as no phone can match the 1020's sensor and reframing capabilities but most of my Z3 photos just seem crap. I've messed around with superior mode as well as the extremely confusing and bloated options in manual (which just seems to be a couple of changeable options plus numerous scene modes).

My latest issue is I'm down to 2GB of internal storage. Part of the reason for me switching was expandable memory support but at present, it's not possible to move large apps and games to the SD card. Rooting will resolve this but that seems troublesome for the Z3s at the moment from what I gather.

Then there's the lack of compatibility with the Garmin Connect Mobile app which was another big draw for me switching from WP. I'm aware the Z3 isn't listed on the compatible phone list for the app but the Z2 is, plus it meets the other requirements of Android version and Bluetooth capabilities. Garmin advise that it could still work if it meets those.

Other annoyances are the screen and rear casing have picked up some scratches after very careful use. The one of the screen is a couple of inches long, although it is very shallow. The keypad is taking some getting used to but perhaps that is to be expected coming from another platform.

Now..on to the good things.

The battery is just immense. After a full day of heavy use, I have over 50% left which is stunning.

The phone looks great and is very well spec'd so the performance is pretty impressive too.

The app situation is a blessed relief coming from WP. There seems to be an endless stream of apps for my needs and finally I'm able to use official apps that have no alternative on WP.

Call quality is crystal clear. The best I have ever experienced on any mobile phone.

So, with all that in mind and weighing up the pros and cons, I'm left wondering whether I should return the Z3 for something else? I have a few days left to make up my mind so would appreciate some advice from people who know Android much more than myself.

Here's the list of Android devices which are known to be compatible with the Garmin Connect Mobile app:
HTC One (M7)
LG Flex
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S5
Sony Xperia Z2

I'd only consider the S5 out of that lot.

Looking at phonearena's comparison tool of the S5 and Z3 devices, they both look pretty good.

I'm stuck in two, perhaps three minds. Should I stay with the Z3 and hope rooting is sorted soon plus Lollipop brings some camera improvements? There's not much I can do about the delicate screen except use a case and protector. Not a problem.

Is the S5 a good enough trade off from the Z3? It's certainly compatible with the Garmin app which is a huge plus. It's rootable and has a larger internal memory. Again, massive plusses. The camera isn't as good as the Z3 so further compromise from the 1020. Scratch resistant glass..although that seems to count for little these days but it has to be better than the Z3!

Then there's the Note 4 which is another device I would consider although it's not officially compatible with the Garmin app even if its predecessors were. Although it does meet the requirements...but then again so does the Z3. The Note 4 is a beast of a device though.

So, what do you guys recommend I should do?

Thanks for any help or suggestions :)

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help with making a decision

1) You're talking about an 80% reduction in camera resolution - 42MP to 8MP - so expect an 80% loss in picture resolution. And the app may meter differently. If you use an averaging metering scheme as if it were a spot meter, your exposures will all be wrong.

2) Android is designed to use external SD cards to store data, not to run apps from. Get a phone with enough internal app storage space.

The choice is whether you're looking for a great camera or a great mobile operating system. Windows is designed for 8086 desktops with floppy disks, and upgraded by patchwork. (DOS 2.1 programs still work fine on Windows 8.1, which means great tradeoffs in upgrading Windows.) Android was designed as a mobile operating system from the start.

If you want a great operating system and a great camera, buy a good Android phone (I like the Note 4 better than the S5 because I use the S-Pen a lot) and a good camera like a Nikon or Canon. (But I still get some great shots on my Motorola V551, with a 640X480 camera [0.3MP].)

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

I appreciate the comments about the camera and I have accepted the trade off in quality from the 1020. That said, I've seen loads of decent photos taken on the Z3 but mine are just so average in comparison regardless of settings.

Is it not possible to move apps from internal storage to SD on some Android devices then? I'm sure I've done just that on my daughter's old phone.

Ideally, I'd like an all round top performer that suits my needs. Coming from the 1020, no other phone will match the quality so that is one compromise I'm happy to make but I still want a camera that will produce decent shots. The main things are compatibility with apps that I need (which I can't get on WP), good internal storage as well as SD support. The S5 ticks a few of those boxes but the camera seem inferior to the Z3.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Oh well, it looks like I can rule out the S5 as my carrier only stocks the 16GB version which will leave me in the same position as the Z3 in terms of space.

They do have the Note 4 though but it costs quite a bit more each month.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I still think the Note 3 is better than most all phones out there. Plenty of app space, great daylight camera and video imv, not much bigger with a slim case. I hardly ever take the pen out but like some of it's features I can do with a finger. Android 5.0 to come.

Just don't buy one at close to Note 4 prices. Buying one outright should be a steal.

From my SM-N9005 Note 3 on Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Well then you're getting the best one.
Don't understand the Garmin app bit, maybe you have one built into a car. Enjoy.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Well then you're getting the best one.
Don't understand the Garmin app bit, maybe you have one built into a car. Enjoy.

Thanks.

The Garmin app is to use with my Garmin Edge cycling computer. Certain Android and iOS phones support device notifications for calls/sms, live tracking, route sending and other features to be sent via Bluetooth to the cycle computer. At the moment, my phone is tucked away in my saddle wedge and I usually have to pull over to read any notifications or check missed calls. Getting a phone that works with the app would be great.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

The Garmin app is to use with my Garmin Edge cycling computer. Certain Android and iOS phones support device notifications for calls/sms, live tracking, route sending and other features to be sent via Bluetooth to the cycle computer. At the moment, my phone is tucked away in my saddle wedge and I usually have to pull over to read any notifications or check missed calls. Getting a phone that works with the app would be great.
Ah OK. That sounds like a useful device. I like Garmin stuff. I guess they will update the app for the Note 4 or for Lollipop and the Note 4 soon.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I still think the Note 3 is better than most all phones out there. Plenty of app space, great daylight camera
I have one. "Daylight camera" is about it. I could get better low-light shots with a Brownie and Kodacolor ASA 200 film (or even an old Polaroid). But a good app that lets you change the metering helps a lot. Camera FV-5 Lite goes a long way toward doing that.

I hardly ever take the pen out
We're completely opposite, there. I have 2 pens, one on the desk and one in the phone, and I use both of them a lot.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I have one. "Daylight camera" is about it. I could get better low-light shots with a Brownie and Kodacolor ASA 200 film (or even an old Polaroid). But a good app that lets you change the metering helps a lot. Camera FV-5 Lite goes a long way toward doing that.

We're completely opposite, there. I have 2 pens, one on the desk and one in the phone, and I use both of them a lot.
I have had many great shots and day/night videos on the Note 3, but I view them on only a 1600x900 20" screen where they are impressive with regard to geometry, depth, colour, contrast and only occasionally gets fuzzy around edges. It's not a full camera but it's the best I have had. I am sure the Nokia and even Sony's would blow it away for fine detail. I tried some recommended apps and some are meant to improve on certain areas. I will try that FV-5 Lite.

I was gobsmacked with the improvements to handwriting with the new Note 4 S-Pen. That I would use more often.
With my work situation I can't get one yet, but probably will.
I recalibrated (kind of) and changed nibs on my Note 3 but it was never great.

*I'm also not a good hand writer any way, and the action memo pad is too small.
I hope the recognition software is better on the Note 4. I have Evernote and other writing options but I never bother. The slim pen never felt comfortable in the hand, but at least the new N4 unit is more detailed and accurate. Just my experience.