Do I need to root my tablet?

DaFees

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Android Noob: Missing Users under Settings

Hello all,

Android noob here (I live and breath iDevices and I know them inside and out) looking to make the best of a bad situation. I was given a pair of tablets by a family member. They're called Bright-Tab (model Q8H) with an A23 dual core CPU running Android 4.4.2 (If you need more info let me know). I was asked to put a bunch of kids games and apps on these tablets so that when they're opened up Christmas morning they can automatically be used.

Putting games/apps on the tablet was easy, but then I thought, "These tablets are for kids. Sure would be nice if I could enable some kind of kids mode or enable restrictions of sort." Well I went under settings and found nothing. Went to Google and apparently Android versions 4.2.x and above have user account support but yet this tablet is missing the Users setting I am seeing in pictures posted online.

Basically what are my options. Do I need to root these tablets (where do I begin with that)? Do I need to install a different firmware or something?

This family member not thinking found these tablets for cheap and picked them up without asking me. I told them they should've went with the Fire HD 6" tablets because I know they support Kindle Free Time and would've been a much better, easier to work with tablet. That's all immaterial at this point.

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place, again noob here, but what are my options if any?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Noob: Missing Users under Settings

Welcome to Android Central! I would install an alternative launcher like Kids Place. It has a lot of nice features that prevent the child from accessing the main settings, wi-fi, etc.

Those tablets sound like off-brand budget devices, so they may not be as reliable nor feature-rich as devices from more reputable companies. Since you're an avid iOS user, please don't get the impression that all Android devices are like those!;)

DaFees

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android Noob: Missing Users under Settings

Welcome to Android Central! I would install an alternative launcher like Kids Place. It has a lot of nice features that prevent the child from accessing the main settings, wi-fi, etc.

Those tablets sound like off-brand budget devices, so they may not be as reliable nor feature-rich as devices from more reputable companies. Since you're an avid iOS user, please don't get the impression that all Android devices are like those!;)

Wow, thanks for the response. I think that launcher will be perfect for what I'm thinking. Oh and you needn't worry. I'm an avid iOS user, yes and I know these are budget Android tablets BUT I know just how good Android can be with devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tabs and the Google Nexus tabs. My point was more that since I don't use Android every day I'm not familiar with everything inside and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995