How can I get the Moto g 4g LTe from US cellular to work with T-Mobile?

David Man Deal

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
How can I get the Moto g 4g LTe from US cellular to work with tmobile

Hi, I purchased a US cellular moto g 4g (XT1042). I gave it to my friend to root so I could flash custom roms.
once i found a rom i liked I put a new tmobile sim card and asked tmobile to activate it (my old phone with tmobile used a regular size sim so i neededa micro).
At that point texts and data started working, i figured the phone worked and i was happy. Only a little later did i realize that if i try to call someone i hit dial and immediately it says call ended. People trying to call me go straight to voicemail.
Of course tmobile tech was confused bc if the device is incompatible or carrier locked then why is data and sms working but not voice. They tried some OTA download stuff but that didint work.
everytime i turn on my phone now it says sim card unknown source but texts and data will work. I managed to get into the hidden settings and try changing the bands but same issue. after 2 days I dis activated my new sim so i can go back to using my old phone, and the hidden menu code i used *#*#4636#*#* doesnt work anymore.

In factory mode Under SIM card it shows that the ICCID of the phone doesnt match that of the SIM card.

I hope i supplied enough information, so is it not working because the phone is incompatible, because it is carrier locked, or bc the sim card is bad?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I get the Moto g 4g LTe from US cellular to work with tmobile

It could be either. Bring it in to a TMobile store and let them have a go at it. (You may, since it's probably no longer on a US Cellular account, have to buy an unlock code on eBay.)

However ...

It's missing the 1700MHz radio for voice and a few bands for 4G. (See Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a list of frequencies used by both, and Motorola Moto G LTE specs [Technology, down at the bottom] for the frequencies the phone covers. It looks like more of a US Cellular/AT&T phone.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781