What Should Android Device Manager's Unlock Screen Look Like?

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG G3 which has this silly "Tap to Wake" and "Knock Code" feature. Today the phone "woke up" in my pocket and entered several unsuccessful knock codes before finally locking up completely.

I thought I knew my Backup PIN but, well, apparently I don't. I tried to replace the "Knock Code" screen with Android Device Manager's lock screen. As my locked device was connect to WiFi when it locked I was able to successfully update the lock screen with Android Device Manager but I still don't seem to be able to log in.

When I turn the device on I am greeted with the recovery message I set, a padlock symbol, the phrase "Locked by Android Device Manager" and an "EMERGENCY CALL" message. The notification bar at the top shows Android Device Manager icon and a few other things, and the bottom soft buttons show the "Home" and "Back" keys with the "Settings" key grayed out. Tapping r swiping anywhere on the screen has no effect other than the "EMERGENCY CALL", "Home" and "Back" buttons. Tapping "EMERGENCY CALL" opens the dialer with expected restrictions but tapping either the "Home" or "Back" buttons brings you to an "Account unlock" screen.

The "Account unlock" screen has the same notification panel at the top (with the Android Device Manager icon) but has "Username" and "Password" fields in the main page.

Specifically the screen shows:

Account unlock
Invalid username or password

Username (e-mail)
Password

Sign in

The "Username" and "Password" fields are meant to be filled and tapping in them brings up the keyboard. The "Sign in" text is on a button to be clicked once the fields have been filled in. Is this the normal unlock screen? In particular it seems odd to enter your username and although it says e-mail in brackets it's not clear if you append "at" etc or not. I have tried many combinations of including "at" and leaving it off, entering the "new password" I entered in "Android Device Manager" as well as my regular Google password but nothing will let me in. Also the account unlock screen doesn't make any reference to Google or Android Device Manager either. Is this normal?

I really don't want to have to do a factory reset because of this stupid "Tap to Wake" feature waking the device while it was in my pocket!!! Any workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello.
I don't have an LG. I have locked and unlocked a Samsung and now my Moto G twice recently with ADM using a new pin.

I used a new 4 digit pin number (1234). It's only offering a password entry box I see on ADM, I don't remember that, but typing a code there still works.

Maybe try to lock it again if it will let you.
When I press the back or home button on the phone's ADM screen, I get a pin entry keypad and that works.

ON EDIT : I tried a password (wedding) and that brings up a single password entry box (back/home button press) which worked. So I am not clear on your situation or if it's specific to the G3.

From my SM-N9005 Note 3 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the device unlock PIN (the standard one, not the ADM lock PIN) was entered incorrectly too many times, now it wants you to sign in with your Google account to verify you're the right person. You SHOULD be able to enter the Google account used to configure the device originally (or maybe ANY Google account registered on the device) in order to unlock it.

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
WooHoo, I finally got it!!!!

Thank you guys (and possibly gals).
Out of desperation I ended up disabling Two Factor Authentication, and it worked first time.

So relieved,
Thank you.

It became clear it was definitely after my Google details as I found that after a reboot when I first enter the unlock screen instead of saying "Invalid username or password" above the Username field it actually says "To unlock, sign in with your Google account" and only after a failed unlock does it say "Invalid username or password" (which it then says till I reboot). Since I was able to log into Android Device Manager on my PC and update the recovery message on the phone I was confident I knew which account name and password to use. Once I was confident about all these things I then considered two factor authentication and thought I'd give disabling it a go, and low and behold I was able to log straight in.

So thank you to you all, I am once again a happy munchkin and I doubt I would have made it there without your help.
:) :) :)

Cheers,
Slarti.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci