Hey guys, a few months ago I dropped my HTC One M8 from a relatively high distance and something happened. My screen got this black blotche around one on the corners of the screen. So, my main question is that should I try to get it fixed over a span of 6 business days, or replaced within 4 days? I am also asking if anyone knows if these dead pixels are fixable with a screen replacement, and if it would be better of getting a new One M8, than the same One M8 fixed (if possible)? I'm just unsure if there are any broken core components, and it's not the screen itself.

-Thanks , yupol

PS: I am not "unsure" about making this decision do to the amount of days it takes HTC to fix or replace, but the phone itself.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-18-2014 05:49 AM
    I would get it fixed personally. If they replace it it will be with a refurbished device.
    12-18-2014 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the help, but do u know if dead pixels (or the black blotches) are fixable through a screen replacement?

12-18-2014 12:36 PM
    The "dead pixels" (that's not really what it is) are caused by a broken LCD layer in that corner of the screen. Replacing the screen will fix that. But if the motherboard is cracked, the phone is going to start getting intermittent over time, and that could start right after the warranty expires. I'd have it replaced. I don't know how good whatever insurance or warranty you have is at refurbs, but a properly factory refurbed phone is 99.99% as good as a new one. (The difference will show up in 10 years or so, which you probably won't care about.) You don't have a new phone now - you may actually get a newer one if you get a refurb. (If someone buys the phone, tries it for a few days, then returns it for a different phone, that M8 is now a refurb, but it's almost brand new. [It still should go through the entire refurb checkout process, if the source you're getting the refurb from is any good.])
    yupol and Golfdriver97 like this.
    12-18-2014 01:08 PM
    Thanks, I think I'm gonna trafe it in for a new one as well. Im probably going to do it over a the holiday break which should be enough time for me to get through without needing it for school. Thanks for all the help guys, especially Rukbat!

-Thanks, yupol

12-19-2014 01:11 PM
    I sent an M7 back to HTC due to the purple tint issue with the camera, and the "replacement" I got was in pristine condition. Had to be new. It's worth going that route.
    12-19-2014 03:09 PM
    Not necessarily. If, during the refurb, they find a scratch on the case, even a tiny one, they replace that piece. That's what factory refurb means - as good as a new one leaving the factory. And that includes how it looks and feels. HTC seems to be concerned with the quality of their products, both new and refurbed. (Now if only they'd make the battery field-replaceable, and come out with a stylus that worked on the screen, I'd probably consider an HTC for my next phone. But the battery issue is critical to me.)
    12-19-2014 04:57 PM
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to get it replaced for a new one! I appreciate everything guys! Happy Holidays!

-yupol

12-21-2014 02:45 PM
    Hey guys, I wanted to say thanks for all the help and support here about my HTC one m8. I finally traded it in, and got a new! Thanks a ton! 😁

02-13-2015 02:15 PM