Why won't my S4 recognize any SD card but my PC does?

ibnordic

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
My S4 will not recognize any SD card but my PC does.

My S4 will not recognize any SD card but my PC does. I've tried two cards both work in my PC but not on the S4 (they used to but after the last update....no longer). The Mount SD card remains grayed out. Is this repairable?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My S4 will not recognize any SD card but my PC does.

Welcome to Android Central! What carrier do you have? If their update killed the SD card accessibility, contact the carrier's support line and ask them what they can do about it. Remind them that it was their update that caused the problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My S4 will not recognize any SD card but my PC does.

And if you don't get their full cooperation, remind then that it's the law that says that they're responsible for what their update does. (There are different liability laws in every jurisdiction, but they all basically say "you broke it, it's your responsibility". And they can't escape it by putting something like "by accepting this update, you accept all responsibility", or something like that. They can make the claim, but the law doesn't accept it.)

Depending on your carrier, though, you'll get more or less cooperation. AT&T actually apologises when that happens. (I got "I'm so sorry, but we're going to have to replace your phone".) Usually they just reflash the update, because the way Android OTA updates is done is at least pre-1988 technology (because in 1988 I wrote a much better method of live updating - one that doesn't cause the update to actually happen if it fails; all that happens is that you're left with the old version and can try the update again).