This is for a relative in the nursing home who is mute and the tablet will be used mainly for communicating. It will remain in her room while I'm away and I don't want to set up my account on the tablet for security reasons. If there is a better option for our purpose other than a tablet, then please share what you know as well.
    12-23-2014 11:55 AM
    Welcome to AC.☺

Do you mean communication
    by texts? Any simple mobile phone will do that, as long as there is an adequate mobile or wifi signal. But a tablet would also do it, yes. And no, you don't need a Google account.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-23-2014 12:15 PM
    Phones are too small for her to read the small text, therefore a 10" tablet is desired. And no, she won't be sending out texts or connected to the internet unless I am with her when she does it. This is a cheap tablet...a Polaroid P10 which is more than she needs to start out on. She only has use of 1 hand so it can't be too complicated to use while we are away. How do I get passed the Google account set up while setting up the tablet. It immediately goes to that phase of set up w/o option to go passed it w/o Google set up. There has to be a way to get around that.
    12-23-2014 06:42 PM
    I don't understand that. If I recall right there is normally the option of not creating an account, or of skipping and doing it later. As a last resort you could go ahead and create the account and then delete it from the device subsequently.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-23-2014 07:06 PM
    Tried that, but all the apps and settings disappeared when the account was closed. It even warned me that it would. Let me try it one more time. If I can't get it to work right this time, I'm just going to go with the Alphasmart unit.
    12-23-2014 08:07 PM