Chromecast: How to cast from my Nexus 5 to Laptop?

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I want to cast from my Nexus 5 to laptop, I already have Chromecast application installed in my Nexus 5.

Already have Chromecast application installed in my Laptop.

Already have the extension called "Google Cast" in my Chrome browser (laptop)

My laptop, phone, and chromecast are all on same network. My laptop and phone are able to detect the chromecast.

So my question is, how will i cast from my phone to laptop? whether it is youtube or any kind of application. I just want to make it work. Possible or not?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Chromecast app and cast your screen. If you see the laptop in the list (the laptop has to be running), choose it. If it's not on the list, it can't be cast to with Chromecast.

Then anything you do on the phone will use the laptop as the screen - you're mirroring the phone screen to the laptop (or TV or whatever you're casting to). 'Screen cast' is Chromecastese for 'screen mirror'.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For Chromecast, you can only cast something to the TV or monitor that has the Chromecast plugged into it. So you can't use the Chromecast to cast something from your phone to your laptop. If the laptop has an HDMI port, it's for output only, not for input.