I will be going to the United States on holiday. Can I use my Samsung S5 (G900F model) there with my home (Malta, Europe) sim card? Also, how can I charge my phone, since the electricity system in the USA is different to that in Europe?
    12-27-2014 04:58 AM
    Your device will work, but your SIM may not. You'll need to check with your provider to find out. If your SIM does work, your provider might charge you a fortune to use it in the US. Your easiest and least expensive option might be to just get a 1-month SIM card from one of the US carriers. Read Andrew's article about pre-paid services in the US for a bunch of links to plans from various carriers.
    ---> There are more reasons every day to consider a prepaid plan for your Android | Android Central

For charging, you'll be able to use your current cable and just pick up an inexpensive USB charger in the US. You can find US chargers for $10 at office supply stores, large retailers, many gas stations, and most grocery stores. They're everywhere.

Also, here's a pro-traveler trick if you're staying at a hotel. After you check in, go to the front desk and say, "I forgot my phone charger. Do you have a lost-&-found collection of chargers and could I borrow one of those while I'm here?" Almost every hotel will have a huge box of phone chargers behind the desk or in the office that have been left behind by other travelers. Look through the box for any charger with a USB port and you'll be able to charge your phone using your cable. When you're ready to leave, just drop the charger off at the front desk for the next person to use.

Dan
    12-28-2014 04:40 PM
    For charging, you'll be able to use your current cable and just pick up an inexpensive USB charger in the US.
    The charger input should be 100-240 Volts, or something in that range. The nominal voltage in the US is 110-120 Volts, so it'll work fine. You may need an adapter from the round plugs it has to the flat blades our power sockets use - look on eBay, they should be cheap.

Also, here's a pro-traveler trick if you're staying at a hotel. After you check in, go to the front desk and say, "I forgot my phone charger. Do you have a lost-&-found collection of chargers and could I borrow one of those while I'm here?" Almost every hotel will have a huge box of phone chargers behind the desk or in the office that have been left behind by other travelers. Look through the box for any charger with a USB port and you'll be able to charge your phone using your cable. When you're ready to leave, just drop the charger off at the front desk for the next person to use.
    That's another way, in any country.

The phone should work for voice and text on any GSM carrier in the US. For data, stick to AT&T or one of their network operators - you'll only get 3G, but you'll get data. Both AT&T and TMobile (and every other GSM network operator uses AT&T or TMobile towers) use 4G frequencies not available in the 900F.
    12-28-2014 10:56 PM