On my HTC One Mini why is Google Chrome crashing?

Platino Psicon

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
HTC One Mini - Google Chrome Crash

Lately, Google Chrome has been giving me a lot of issues. At very frequent intervals, Google Chrome will go completely black and kick me back the the home screen. I've tried clearing the app's cache, deleting all of the app's data, restarting my phone, forcing the app to close, logging in/out of my Google account, using Wi-Fi/4G and turning on/off AdBlocker. Nothing seems to work.

I first started seeing this problem on image-heavy pages like the TIGSource Image Crawler, but now it will happen on everything from Google Images to Reddit. My phone is updated to Android 4.2.2 and I have 650mb / 775mb RAM left, so I'm at a loss of what to do.

Platino Psicon

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One Mini - Google Chrome Crash

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

My phone won't let me completely uninstall Google Chrome, but it let me uninstall all of the updates and reset it to it's factory defaults. After I reset the app I loaded a .GIF from the front page of reddit and was booted from Chrome after a black screen. It's just as bad as before.

Platino Psicon

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

Did this start recently? After a system update perhaps? Have you tried a reset?

This started happening fairly recent-ish. About a week or two ago but now it's just unbearable. I've reset the phone many times but I have yet to attempt a full factory reset...I'm afraid I'll loose all of the progress in my game apps if I attempt that. But this phone IS a full year old, so a factory reset might be in order.

Is there any way to backup the data for specific apps before I do a factory reset? And please don't say I have to root this phone...I've had rotten luck with rooting devices in the past.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

This started happening fairly recent-ish. About a week or two ago but now it's just unbearable. I've reset the phone many times but I have yet to attempt a full factory reset...I'm afraid I'll loose all of the progress in my game apps if I attempt that. But this phone IS a full year old, so a factory reset might be in order.

Is there any way to backup the data for specific apps before I do a factory reset? And please don't say I have to root this phone...I've had rotten luck with rooting devices in the past.

There are a couple apps in Play that back up your data.
Helium works for non rooted users: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=P0FK1_VH
Otherwise several other apps are available for rooted users. I have heard superbackup works well: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&token=UeQdd3ZB

Platino Psicon

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

There are a couple apps in Play that back up your data.

I tried using the free version of Helium, but it wouldn't let me sync to my desktop without paying a fee. So then I attempted using Holo Backup but that was rather hacky and required too much technical knowledge...Then I tried to use the HTC Sync Manager that comes with the phone, but that would only let me backup pictures and documents. Would you have any more suggestions for apps to back up app data?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I tried using the free version of Helium, but it wouldn't let me sync to my desktop without paying a fee. So then I attempted using Holo Backup but that was rather hacky and required too much technical knowledge...Then I tried to use the HTC Sync Manager that comes with the phone, but that would only let me backup pictures and documents. Would you have any more suggestions for apps to back up app data?

If you are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup. The last I knew, there was an issue with batch backups, so back up each app one by one.