Is there a specific cable I have to use to plug my Samsung Nexus S into my PC?

Cedric48

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Cable for Samsung Nexus S

I have a Nexus S phone. My son has replaced the original Android 2 O/S with Android 4

Until recently, whenever I plugged the charger cable into a Windows computer a screen on the phone asked to connect USB. Once I OKeyed that the phone file system could be seen on the computer's Windows Explorer. I noticed that if I instead plugged in a different USB/miniUSB cable (came with a Logitech headphone) the screen asking for USB connection did not appear.

Question 1) is the phone's cable a special USB/miniUSB one that has more circuits that a standard USB/miniUSB cable?

For some time I have noticed wear due to flexing at the end of the USB plug, so a wire may now be broken.

Question 2) I see a number of Samsung data cables advertised on eBay, but not for my exact phone, eg "Micro Usb Data Cable For Sync Charger Samsung S5820 S100 R880 S6102E Nexus S3" and "USB DATA cable cord charger for Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 Y Duos Omnia W Nexus S4". Would these be suitable replacements (if it is a broken wire in the cable and not a damaged pin in the phone)?

I want to transfer my phone book and a few other files to my computer prior to doing a factory reset. I find exporting the phone book via Bluetooth only saves the numbers, not all the other fields in the phonebook.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Cable for Samsung Nexus S

You should be able to use any compatible Android or Blackberry related USB cable. I have used all kinds found on the internet from $3.99 cheapo's to expensive $25 USB cables and all function the same. Only thing to look for is one that is data/charging capable. Some cables only are good for charging and don't have the extra wires/plug prongs to support data transfer and that throws folks for a loop. These are now becoming more rare to find so you shouldn't have a problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cable for Samsung Nexus S

I want to transfer my phone book and a few other files to my computer prior to doing a factory reset. I find exporting the phone book via Bluetooth only saves the numbers, not all the other fields in the phonebook.
Make sure that the contacts are all Google or Account contacts, not Phone, Device or SIM contacts. (Edit a contact - that should be the first item, and it can't be edited.) Google account contacts are already backed up - at Google Contacts. When you've done the reset and enter your Google account, those contacts will be synced back to your phone.

For those contacts not Google Account contacts (all of them should always be entered that way - when you add a contact, you can choose which way to enter it - just for this purpose), you can use MyPhoneExplorer (it's free). Copy a contact, paste it and the copy can be edited to change it to a Google contact. (Then delete the original.) When you've changed all the contacts to Google contacts, sync MyPhoneExplorer back to the phone, and all the contacts on the phone will sync up to the Google cloud.

That solves your "saving contacts" problem. As far as accessing them from your computer (you can do that too), just go to the Google Contacts link. (Any changes you make there will be reflected back to your phone.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz