Hi y'all,

I have been okay for a while but now my battery on my GS5 won't last for more than 9 hours unless I don't use it at all.

My usage in general is high but not higher than normal for me. I have attached a picture from my usage statistics...

I have used GSAM before and will download again. I just don't like keeping extra apps that I don't use. Does my signal look weak to anyone? I'm not sure if this might be the issue.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2014-12-28-05-38-14.jpg  
    12-28-2014 04:42 PM
    Yes, the signal is not a strong one. The device is also awake frequently.

Has the deterioration of battery life been gradual, or did it happen suddenly? If the former, it may be that it is losing capacity, especially if you routinely allow it to discharge heavily before recharging. It's best not to drop below 40% before recharging.

Since you have wifi on all the time, try turning off mobile data when you don't need it.

What do your battery stats reveal as the main users of charge?

12-28-2014 06:53 PM
    At both dips, something was waking your phone - that's what's killing the battery.

Also, letting the battery get that low is going to shorten its life. 40% is the last warning to charge - after that the lifespan of the battery goes down very fast if you do it regularly. (50% gives you maximum life.)
    12-28-2014 10:40 PM
    Thanks both of you. Funny that I'm hearing this 40% number now. I've never heard that before. I have 2 batteries that I've used though, one of which I didn't use much at all. It still seems to have the same problems. To answer the one question, this does seem sudden, though my battery life never was great.

In terms of my usage, it is generally high. But as you can see most of the time the screen is on while the phone is awake, which I think is a good sign because it means I'm using it.

After downloading GSAM, I couldn't get it to work right. It kept showing me my usage only for the last few minutes, not since unplugged like it said. This is in the screenshot below. Is that a normal temperature? 92F

Nothing seems out of the ordinary looking at the regular usage in the settings. It just drains fast... The 10% voice calls is out of the ordinary, though FYI it was a 40 minute call. To me that is a lot of battery for that time...

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2014-12-30-15-40-49.jpg   Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2014-12-30-15-40-59.jpg   Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2014-12-30-15-43-47.jpg  
    12-30-2014 02:45 PM
    The reason that I mentioned the 40% figure is that I learnt it from Rukbat, whom I judge to have, at the risk of embarrassing him, the greatest knowledge and experience of us all. Perhaps I'm wrong but I doubt that I'm far wrong.
    Your usage stats seem normal enough to me.
    Your battery temperature I judge to be okay....mine at the moment, on a G3, is 83°F.
    Could I suggest that you try turning off all location reporting for a day or two, to see whether that makes a significant difference. If it does, we can take it from there.

12-30-2014 05:06 PM
    Why do you think that would make I different? What's the reasoning about location reporting?

It's just tough because getting down to 40% battery is like 6 hours for me. It's not reasonable to charge my phone that often.

12-30-2014 07:58 PM
    Thanks both of you. Funny that I'm hearing this 40% number now. I've never heard that before.
    It's from the secnd chart at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries. (You can do the arithmetic, 50% is ideal, but 40%-60% should give you good life.) They make battery analysis equipment, so they've destroyed enough batteries to know what they're talking about.

@Belodion:
    I don't know about knowledge, but experience? If you live long enough, you sort of can't help getting that, and I'm probably one of the (if not the) oldest regulars here. Most people my age haven't found the "any" key yet. I keep it hidden so people have to look hard for it.
    belodion likes this.
    12-30-2014 11:30 PM
    ^^^😊

12-31-2014 05:19 AM
    Joseph, I don't know that it's location reporting that's causing your battery drain, but if I were in your position I'd try switching it off for a while (and also check that when in use it's still set to Battery Saving Mode), and I'd also try switching off Mobile Data for a while, and after that, Wifi. I'd just try those things as diagnostic steps. In the same way, I've tried various procedures to fix post-Lollipop reduced battery life on my Nexus 5, the last being a Factory Reset. All unsuccessful, but at least I know I've tried them....if I hadn't, I could never have been sure.

12-31-2014 05:30 AM
    I'm just frustrated because my battery has been running for 3 hours and I'm already at 60%... Seems crazy to me. And most of it says it comes out of Screen brightness and android system.

01-09-2015 04:11 PM
    ^That was with the regular usage app. GSAM screenshots show me the following
    similarly...

Yes I have been using the phone but not a crazy amount. It literally feels like while I'm holding it, every minute it loses 1%.

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2015-01-09-17-12-55.jpg   Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2015-01-09-17-12-50.jpg  
    01-09-2015 04:15 PM
    Anyone have any thoughts for me? I don't know if I should just deal with the bad battery life. I know this phone was supposed to last way longer than this, and it did when I first got it.

I'm also having some glitch with the focus on the camera. I tap the screen and it goes to focus but then moves out of focus again. Especially when up close. Is there settings for this or is it faulty? The camera and gallery also take long to open, even without pictures.

01-12-2015 06:18 AM
    Anyone have any thoughts for me? I don't know if I should just deal with the bad battery life. I know this phone was supposed to last way longer than this, and it did when I first got it.

I'm also having some glitch with the focus on the camera. I tap the screen and it goes to focus but then moves out of focus again. Especially when up close. Is there settings for this or is it faulty? The camera and gallery also take long to open, even without pictures.

this same happened with my note 3 for camera n battery both

Posted via note 3
    01-13-2015 09:33 AM
    Your app sucker numbers look pretty normal - of the power that was consumed (43% of the battery capacity), 62.6% of that was consumed by the listed apps and 34% of that was consumed by the screen. That accounts for 96.6% of the battery consumption (of 43% of battery capacity). 34% of use by the screen in 2 hours (that's 14% of battery capacity in 2 hours) says that you have the brightness turned up pretty high. That could account for some of the problem.
    01-13-2015 10:02 PM
    I'm just not sure what to do. And even just sitting here scrolling through Instagram and texting, my phone gets SO HOT! Up to 101 degreesF or more. I do not understand why.

I want to call AT&T but they never help me. Maybe they can give me a new phone if this is malfunctioning. I'm still having a glitch with the camera focus too.

01-17-2015 02:30 AM
    After I wasn't even running any apps on my phone, this is what I see. And it lost nearly 10% battery in the past 10 minutes!! My phone should not lose 1% per minute no matter what I am doing.... Yes that is 103 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2015-01-17-03-33-03.jpg   Galaxy S5 Battery Issues.... Again..-screenshot_2015-01-17-03-32-23.jpg  
    01-17-2015 02:35 AM
    I also just saw that one app took up 25% of my battery drain overnight. Second only to Android System, followed by Android OS. I went to sleep at 70% and woke up at less than 20%! I am starting to hate this phone.

01-18-2015 12:36 PM
    After I wasn't even running any apps on my phone, this is what I see. And it lost nearly 10% battery in the past 10 minutes!! My phone should not lose 1% per minute no matter what I am doing.... Yes that is 103 degrees.

samething happening with my note 3 and sometime couples of % in 1 minute if u get the answer then tell me plz

Posted via note 3
    01-18-2015 01:13 PM