My Nexus 5, running lollipop, shows several bogus wifi hot spots. If I reboot they go away. Sometime later, others appear. These are not real saved hotspots. They all show the same signal strength. Even in areas where there is no wifi at all.
    Where are these coming from? How do I stop it?
    12-31-2014 09:46 AM
    Are you sure they are bogus? The phone is always pinging for new WiFi access points, which are everywhere. At any given time and place, you will see a list of WiFi networks you never heard of - the phone detects and displays them even if you are not signed in. They eventually drop away when they are out of range.
    12-31-2014 01:52 PM
    And people do turn routers on and off, so you may see no wifi, then someone turns a router on and you see the router, then they reset it and you don't see it for a while. Or someone could be running a hotpsot in a car for the kids. You see them, they turn a corner and it's gone.

Get a wardriving app and log what you see - then look at the log on a map - there are hotspots all over these days. "Even in areas where there is no wifi at all" is becoming a smaller and smaller area all the time.
    12-31-2014 11:23 PM