First off I am tech savvy. I have two Samsung Tab 4 8.0s for my kids and bought two SanDisk 64Gb 30MB/s SD cards to store all their MP4 movies and play on tablets.

Only the first dozen or so movies are recognised on the device; the rest are on the SD card but not recognised by the device. I have searched loads of forums and without any satisfactory explanation. I can assure you it is not the SD Cards or the format type (I have tried every format type possible including formatting from the Tab 4 itself).

1) I have changed order in which I have copied movies onto the SD card and the first ones loaded on the card get recognised by the Tab but after about 12 the rest are not.

2) All of the movies play from the SD card when in the Card reader on the PC.

Another interested thing is if I store loads of movies on the internal memory of the Tab they all are recognised and play fine then if I load another dozen or so on the SD card then only 1 or 2 are recognised.

So it is not the SD card or how it is formatted (I have tried all format types including the devices own formatting process). It is not how the movies are being converted to MP4, as they all work if I just load then onto the internal memory. Also I get exactly the same behaviour on both of the Samsung Tab 4 8.0s each with separate SD cards.

So I assume it is a quirk with either Android (running KitKat) or the Samsung devices. Can anyone tell me whether it is well known that only a limited number of MP4 movies can be recognised and played from the Samsung video player when stored on the SD card.

Also can someone explain the interested thing about if the internal memory has loads of movies stored on it then why do the number of recognised movies on the SD Card become even fewer?

I used to develop code (business applications though) and I cannot understand why logic would restrict the SD card operation in this way.

Help please, I really wanted to get all the kids MP4 movies on their devices.
    01-02-2015 02:41 AM
    Can you see them when using a file browser like es or astro @

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    01-02-2015 09:32 AM
    I used to develop code (business applications though) and I cannot understand why logic would restrict the SD card operation in this way.
    Same here (for 40 years) and I'm as baffled as you are. It's probably more something in Android than in Samsung (and I don't have another brand Android to test it on). You could try android-x86 - Browse /Release 4.4 at SourceForge.net to run the card on your computer hardware and see what happens. If it does it there, it has to be Android.

(I'm guessing it's somewhere in Media Scanner - a limit on 12 records with the external card as the source? MS builds a database, so who knows what rules they have imposed on the app or the db?)
    01-03-2015 01:05 AM