Hi,

My phone isn't showing on Android Device Manager despite it being logged in to Google & turned on. As well as showing as active in the Account Security > Devices. I have lost my phone and am trying to track it down. Is there something I should have done to enable tracking/remotely locate?

I have read through the ADM Support however it doesn't make it clear if the phone is visible by default or if you manually need to set it up.

I can see my Android tablet and old HTC One M7 on the ADM and I have not setup anything on these.

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Added after Answer 1:
    Yes the viability box it checked like my tablet which is showing on the ADM
    01-02-2015 01:15 PM
    See if it is hidden.
    play.google.com/settings - visibility

Or check on a pc browser and go for the settings wheel, though I can't remember all the steps.

www.google.com/android/devicemanager
    01-02-2015 02:37 PM
    Thank you for the quick response.

Yes the viability box it checked like my tablet which is showing on the ADM so no issue here.
    01-02-2015 02:57 PM
    It's easy to misunderstand your 1st post.
    So your lost device is showing on the Android Device Manager as your device, as it's on the play device list?

..... and the issue is you have tapped Locate for that device, but it's not showing it?

Is it on the Device Manager page and/or app?

01-02-2015 03:15 PM
    Perhaps contacting your carrier would be the next best thing to do. They might have options that we, as users, do not have access to.

From an AOSP M8
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-02-2015 03:23 PM
    Sorry I could have been clearer. I have attached some screen shots.

Can I get some help with a Android Device Manager Issue?-2.png

Can I get some help with a Android Device Manager Issue?-1.png

Can I get some help with a Android Device Manager Issue?-3.png

Not sure if there is any significance in HTC One M8 showing twice? However only 1 of them will allow me to remove account access.
    01-02-2015 03:56 PM
    Perhaps contacting your carrier would be the next best thing to do. They might have options that we, as users, do not have access to.

From an AOSP M8
    Yes I tried this but they don't seem to want to help...
    01-02-2015 03:57 PM
    I just got to a pc to view.
    So the M8 is missing and you can't switch to it on the ADM page?
    01-02-2015 04:55 PM
    I see it now, there should be a drop down box to switch.
    Also I don't know the security.Google page but nothing happens if you tap the blue find with ADM line.

01-02-2015 04:58 PM
    There are apps in play that can find your phone, but....I think most need to be installed before the phone is lost. I am not really sure what else to suggest. Maybe Lookout can be used in reverse, but I am not sure.

From an AOSP M8
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-02-2015 07:23 PM
    The OP may have looked under the sofa - but now I am wondering looking at my shots why my Note 3 was registered in May when I registered it in December.
    I ended up having 2 Samsung accounts I think, one when I registered my S2 and Note 3 with a Gmail address, then setting up Kies 3 with my Yahoo address.

I can't be bothered now.

Apathy rules O
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-02-2015 07:35 PM
    For some reason known only to Google, ADM can't locate a device if Mobile Date is disabled, even if it's on a live wifi connection.

You can try installing Android Lost from a web page. If the phone is still on your Google account, the app will install. Then their web page will allow you to locate the phone. You'll have to create an account using your Google account and log in to use the site. (Some of the functions require administrator access, so you can't use them at this point, but location should work.) It also tries to locate the phone by wifi if mobile data is off.

If none of these apps work, whoever has your phone probably changed the Google account in the phone, and there's no way for you to get it unless you call it and the person found it and just can't figure out how to contact you. (Always have an ICE [In Case of Emergency] entry in your contacts. That's the first thing the police look for, and what someone finding your phone probably would. Also you can put an "If found, please call xxx xxx-xxxx" notice on the lockscreen Owner information.)
    01-02-2015 10:40 PM
    I often find a few holes in ADM and it catches me out occasionally.

FYI - I just did a test with my Moto G from my Note 3 with ADM.
    No mobile data, no wifi, no find.
    Wifi only on (tethered from my Note 3 hotspot though) and it found it straight away.

I was also thinking they (if it is taken) could change the Google account, and of course the sim. So with only one of those, account or sim, and a connection, would it still find it.

Would the Android Lost app install remotely with a secure lock screen, probably.

Joshua Anthony likes this.
    01-02-2015 11:05 PM
    Thanks for all your help. The phone was ringing out until about 1:30 am and I believe it has now died wherever it is.

Unlikely it has been logged out of google as it still shows on my device security page.

Thanks again and hopefully it gets handed in to the police at some point, I have registered lost property with them.

The 2nd thing I did was try setting up Android Lost but it kept saying waiting on device to register. So I then tried it on my Sony Tab and it did exactly the same thing? Maybe the security settings for pushing installation remotely have been changed...

Thank you all
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-03-2015 05:41 AM
    Thanks for all your help. The phone was ringing out until about 1:30 am and I believe it has now died wherever it is.

Unlikely it has been logged out of google as it still shows on my device security page.

Thanks again and hopefully it gets handed in to the police at some point, I have registered lost property with them.

The 2nd thing I did was try setting up Android Lost but it kept saying waiting on device to register. So I then tried it on my Sony Tab and it did exactly the same thing? Maybe the security settings for pushing installation remotely have been changed...

Thank you all
    Well that's a good sign in that it's unlikely someone kept it if it stayed ringing.
    I found 2 phones separately in grass a few years ago between public tennis courts and a car park. Pre Android, both returned.

Possibly dropped where there is no data.

Let us know if you find it.
    01-03-2015 10:59 AM
    So phone has been returned in one piece!! Some good person has handed it into the police station and I got it back today!

Downloaded Android Device Manager (well it downloaded automatically as it had already been pushed remotely) and it still wasn't locating it on ADM despite it being in my hand...

Done some more digging online and apparently by clearing the data on your Google Play Service & Android Device Manager App (in the Apps section) it fixes this issue.

Voilaaa! My phone has now registered and society can now track my every move!

Thank you for your help and I'll be sure to not presume this works automatically in future. Although you would hope Google will fix this tiny issue which can cause major ballache!!

Thanks again
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-07-2015 11:57 AM
    Well that's a bit ridiculous, I agree.

We'll have to add that to our knowledge base here in Android Central Towers!
    Google should put that info out.

Great news that you got it back. I guess it was the holiday season.

I wonder where it has been. We'll never know.

Note the wording: lol
    01-07-2015 12:22 PM