Will updating to KitKat 4.4 let me customize the home screen?

Metal Militia

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
will updating to kitkat 4.4 let me customize the home screen dafaults short cuts

Currently running 4.2.2 on galaxy S4 mini GT-I9197
Ive tried all the tips from some cool wise people, but it dosent work on my s4 mini, i did root it to delete all the bloatware and unused stuff, whilst it was rooted i found i cud drag to the bottom default short cuts but it wudnt drop em ther unfortunately,( directly the bottom icons were unresponsive, rooted or not ) will the new update allow me to change them, i currently have four originally five but i removed default explorere, wanting five back and want only what i want there ...like chrome for starters

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: will updating to kitkat 4.4 let me customize the home screen dafaults short cuts

I had a Samsung S2 on 4.1 and not sure I ever tried there.
My Note 3 when on 4.3 and now 4.4.2 can certainly edit the dock at the bottom with different icons or folders with 2 or more apps together.

You may be limited by the phone or 4.2, again I don't know; but I am fairly sure you can do what you ask with the Nova Launcher.
I only use it to add extra icons on my main homepage.

dfbb820eba6d05e6804fcbddc4379992.jpg

Metal Militia

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: will updating to kitkat 4.4 let me customize the home screen dafaults short cuts

i will update to 4.4 whilst at wk lol free wifi there...hopefully then touchwiz will have an unlocked dock if thats the correct term as im new to droid , if not then ill blast nova ......churz :cool:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

stop laughing at me with yr custom dock haha teaser, ok nova now then

Haha, It was just a smile, and demonstrating how you can add some together and put a name on the tray/folder - also how it looks when you tap on the folder in Nova.
Nova will take 6 across at the most I think , unless reducing the icon size allows more.
Nova and other launchers are just an app that you can switch off, or get very elaborate with extra icon packs and widgets, screens etc. It took me about 15 minutes.
I can't guarantee 4.4 will allow it on the S4 mini, but it has roughly the same Touchwiz layout as the Note 3.
Good luck.

Metal Militia

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

so i herd the australian s4 mini's are dock locked wif carriers optus and telestra via a court rulling from apple , f##k nows wht or why that happened..... ive installed nova and it works fine, just to many options lol, many thanks :D

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

so i herd the australian s4 mini's are dock locked wif carriers optus and telestra via a court rulling from apple , f##k nows wht or why that happened..... ive installed nova and it works fine, just to many options lol, many thanks :D
Ah I see. bummer.

If Nova doesn't free the dock maybe try here again or the S4 mini forum, someone may have a solution. Good luck.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried dragging an app to the homescreen first, letting go of it, then dragging it to the dock? Quite a few TW launchers won't let you drag from the app drawer to the dock directly.

Metal Militia

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

yep i tied all the avenues, if i flash a rom will it mean my carrier start up animations will cease to exist, my phone is from optus an australian carrier , does a stock rom mean stock b4 the carriers put there **** in em, cud i do a stock rom for 4.4 kit kat...it is currently 4.2.2 which i think is JB ..if so i think i should create an image of my phone b4 doing it, how the do i do that :confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800