My phone (Moto G 2014) says it is connected to my home network, but it can't load any webpages. I also can't upload files to Google Drive, load weather data, etc.

This only appears to be a problem with my home network, since I can connect and browse the web on my school's Wi-Fi. All other devices (laptop, iPad, etc.) work on my home network.

Error code in Chrome: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET
    01-04-2015 04:07 PM
    Weird, but I've seen worst. Have you checked your router settings?
    01-04-2015 04:47 PM
    Is the router connected to the internet? (Are other computers able to get to the internet with a wifi connection to the router?)

"DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" just means that Chrome asked your DNS server for the address of some URL, and it didn't get an answer. Connect to the router itself (if you don't have the manual, look for it on the web - there's a manual available for almost every router out there in the past 10 years or so) and see if it's connected to the internet (it'll be the Internet or WAN settings). It should have a gateway address that doesn't start with 192.168, 172.16 to 172,32 or 10, and at least one DNS address. If it doesn't, call your internet provider.

The phone can also be getting a limited connection, but that's difficult to determine if you can't read raw packets (IOW, think like a computer). Try forgetting your home network, scanning, then connecting when the phone finds it.

If you're running 4.4 or later Android, check the wireless security encryption in the router. Some phones have been having problems with TKIP or TKIP+AES, so make sure you router is set to AES. (In the extreme case - and I had it - you'll need a new router. Not an expensive one - my $119 Linksys router caused problems no matter what I did - the $35 Netgear N300 I replaced it with is working fine.)

Anyone want to trade a barely used EA4500 for something?
    01-04-2015 05:05 PM