Galaxy S3: Where are my newly installed apps?

Martiangirl

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
First, Google Play Store has disappeared from my apps. I find it with Google search and search for the apps I want. I go through install, etc. But then can't find them anywhere on my phone. They aren't listed in my Apps anywhere. But when I go back to Play Store and search for that app - it says "installed". This started a month or so ago. I had uninstalled Facebook messenger, but then saw that there was a PM I really needed to see. I go through the Facebook link to get Messenger and it never works. Facebook keeps telling me I need to install it. But when I go through Play Store, it says it is installed. Somehow around that time is when I lost the icon for Play store. Now I have a FitBit that I really need to link with my phone and having the same issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So the apps aren't showing up in the App Drawer (i.e., the list of apps that appears when you tap the icon that looks like a grid of dots)? What about in the App Manager?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. You can have either a Homescreen or the app drawer showing on your screen. It's called an app drawer of old, it would be better called the app list or app pages for those new to Android. As B. Diddy said the app drawer is the app list (usually alphabetical by default) when you press the grid icon in the bottom "dock" of apps including phone, messages etc.

If you cannot see the Play Store there straight away, like my Samsung it would be in a "folder" (tray of icons) called Google. There are also folders for Samsung and Galaxy Plus apps. Tap the Google folder, if Play Store is there you can hold it and slide it left or right to a Homescreen for the future.

If it is not there or you can't find it, as B. Diddy said again, you can check the applications list in Settings that Samsung calls it Applications Manager.

So: Notification panel - Settings gear wheel (or Settings icon) - General tab - down to Applications Manager, open - there are 5 vertical lists so best to swipe over to the 'All' list 4th across, then go down to Play Store ONLY it's listed as Google Play Store. Touch this for app info and it should show installed, like my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 screen below.

We can work on the other issues from there, although I am not very au fait with Facebook. It has been giving problems again lately.

I am in the UK so on a different time zone.

d764ce603644419f2211e148c934d965.jpg
9111795e45ee9ba068e6b0acfe08ca88.jpg

Martiangirl

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I have gone into settings and application manager. I have everything the same as you show on your screen image except Google Play Store. It's always been there, up until about a month ago. So, is there a way for me to get it back?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Huh. I am temporarily stumped. I can't remember. I will get you help if B. Diddy or another Ambassador doesn't catch this soon.
Meanwhile, scroll across Applications Manager to the 5th list "Disabled" (or Turned Off) and see if it's there.

Also check in the All list if "Download Manager" is working, i. e. the Disable button is active/ready to press. Do this with "Google Play Services" also.

Do you know if your phone was ever rooted, what carrier is it on, and did you have it from new?

Martiangirl

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Aahhh! You are a genius! I found "Turned Off" and there it was! As soon as I told it to turn on, all my existing apps started running updates. I'm going to let that complete before I go looking for Messenger or Fitbit, but I have great hope that that did the trick. Thank you so much!!!

Probably doesn't matter now, but I don't know if the phone has ever been rooted. I got it from my son who had it from new. Network is T-Mobile.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for letting us know. I am so great a genius I am unaware of it! :)
If there is still an underlying issue you may need the super - geniuses here!

So T-Mobile is one of the US carriers that label the Disabled list as Turned Off.
It's probably not rooted then, unless it's growing leaves. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was a Samsung thing to call it "Turned Off" instead of "Disabled." Or is it a UK thing?
I noticed you were unsure some while ago.

All EU and international afaik say Disabled. I thought it was just a US carriers thing. I was keeping tabs on it for a while and now forget.

Time for a poll or a search on carrier forums later.

@dpham00 and others should know. Or you may have asked around already.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI, the fact that the Play Store button says Installed instead of Install doesn't mean that the app is currently installed on your device, it means that, at some time in the past, you installed that app. It may still be installed or you may have uninstalled it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI, the fact that the Play Store button says Installed instead of Install doesn't mean that the app is currently installed on your device, it means that, at some time in the past, you installed that app. It may still be installed or you may have uninstalled it.

I believe this only applies to the Play Store on the web. On the Play Store app, if you're looking at the app page of an app you installed once before but then uninstalled, it should still have an "Install" button, whereas if it is currently installed, it should have an "Uninstall" button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol