My phone can detect 5G connection, not sure if 5G but it is faster.
    My laptop cannot detect the same connection.

So I was wondering, is it possible to connect my phone to the faster wifi connection and redirect that connection to my laptop, wireless or wired, doesn't matter, as long as it is being redirected.

Possible or not? Thanks
    01-08-2015 11:39 AM
    I don't think so. You can use a cellphone as a tether to broadcast its mobile data internet signal as a wi-fi hotspot, but you can't broadcast a wi-fi signal it's receiving as a wi-fi hotspot.

A 5 GHz wi-fi signal may have faster throughput than 2.4 GHz and be less prone to interference from other RF-emitting devices, but it is unlikely to make your actual internet speed any better.
    01-08-2015 06:04 PM
    The 5GHz connection will be faster from the laptop to the router, but that's like feeding your house with a 1" diameter water pipe and expecting to get more water from your hose because it's a 2" hose. The signal coming to the router isn't going to be any faster, and the 2.4GHz connection is normally faster than the connection coming into the house. (If you have a 100mbps - and that's about all anyone can get these days - internet connection, that translates to about 12MHz, which is slower than any router out there these days, so it's the internet connection that determines how fast your data travels. Of course, that's just 100mbps from your provider to your house - from, say, Youtube to your provider will seldom top 2mbps [or about 250KHz], and that's only in the last few years [the internet used to run about half that speed]. So your 75mbps 2.4GHz wifi connection is more than capable of handling all the downloads 5 computers can handle simultaneously.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-08-2015 10:54 PM
    Listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks.

Probably the biggest speed increase you might notice with a 5 GHz network is that data transferred from one computer to another within the same local network will flow faster. So if you were copying a big amount of data wirelessly from your desktop in your study to your laptop in the kitchen from within your local network, it would finish faster than if you were using the 2.4 GHz connection.
    01-08-2015 11:02 PM
    I can finally reply now!

My friend has a Lenovo Smartphone. It has a feature called wifi hotspot, or maybe that was wifi tethering.
    What that does is that he can connect to Wifi connection at home using the phone then redirect that connection to laptop using the usb cable.

He can connect to the faster (5G connection, it is named that way) from the phone and redirect the same connection to the laptop.
    Even the Speedtest results are way faster than the regular connection.

Regular connection speedtest: around 20Mb download
    5G connection tested in the phone and laptop: around 60Mb download.

So i was wondering, if this is possible in Nexus 5. I will post the speedtest results soon.

Also, it is not transferring local data, it is actual internet download speed, i have tried download videos from youtube and it is really fast.
    01-09-2015 11:09 PM
    Regular connection speedtest: around 20Mb download
    5G connection tested in the phone and laptop: around 60Mb download.
    From the same server at the same time? (The load on the path varies from moment to moment, so measuring the download speed from a server 70 miles away with a 5 minute interval isn't measuring anything.

5GHz isn't faster than 2.4GHz, it's just a higher frequency. The particular router may run faster at 5GHz (some companies are hewing further and further from the specs these days), but running at a higher frequency doesn't, by itself, give you a higher download speed. (If it does, someone changed the laws of physics and I didn't get the memo.) If higher frequency in the medium meant higher speed (higher frequency in the data), people on channel 20 would have higher pitched voices than people on channel 2 (and the colors on channel 20 would be a lot more blue).

BTW, wifi tethering is what a wifi hotspot does - it tethers the device to the hotspot. Either way of referring to it is correct and the terms are interchangeable.
    01-10-2015 12:20 AM
    I measured from same server, will post the ss soon so it will make sense. Or maybe there was download and upload cap on some connection?
    01-10-2015 08:29 AM
    lenovo phone has a feature called "USB network sharing", by connecting a usb cable between phone and laptop, the phone can connect to home wifi (ISP (internet)) and redirect that same wifi connection to the laptop.
    01-12-2015 09:23 PM
    So my 5 words per minute transmitted at 3 MHz becomes 30 words per minute if transmitted at 30 MHz? Is that how physics works now? (When you tell me something happened that violates the laws of pysics, the first thing that comes to mind is that you measured something wrong, or you don't understand the measurements you got. Even the last thing that comes to mind wouldn't be that the laws of physics changed. Not while I'm still looking down on the grass, not looking up at it. Maybe in the next life, bitrate will vary as the carrier frequency. And 2 + 2 will equal 17-5/8.)
    01-12-2015 11:35 PM
    USB has a max (real world) throughput of 3.2 Gbps, and that's USB3.0! Unless the laptop has 802.11b wireless (not likely if it has a USB 3.0 port) there's no way tethering through a USB port will give you a faster internet connection.
    01-13-2015 10:35 AM
    Since the internet itself, for anything but local connections (or private backbone) runs at about 2mbps, that's all moot. It's like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet digging through their pocket change to discover who's richer. You can run 5 connections on an 11mbps wifi, but you can't run an 11bps connection from the US to Europe until after everyone's dead and some server gets an 11mbps uplink. So real world, the fastest connection you're likely to get, other than when you're doing a speed test, is 2mbps. (Watch your file download speeds and see, even with a Gigbit Ethernet connection to a really fast Cisco commercial router.)
    01-13-2015 11:06 AM