How do I turn back on apps that I shouldn't have turned off?

CAROL RECTOR

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I turned off some apps that I shouldn't have. How can I turn them back on? I got Clean Master, CA Booster, CA Speed Booster, & Battery Doctor. I got obsessed with apps running, space availability, recommendations to turn apps off, then I realized that somehow I had turned off apps that were on the "do not disable" list.
Since then, Google Maps & Location Services are not working correctly. I had received the Maps update that had the colored routes. Now it's back to the one before, yet it is beta. I tried to update it, but it says I have the updates. When using Maps, says Location not available. WiFi on. GPS High Accuracy on.
I'm afraid I've really messed my phone up and I'm going to have to Factory Reset which is way over my head. Please help. Thank you.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Do you still have the S4 that's on your profile?
Instigating the Factory Reset is simple, but restoring it close to where you had it before, and getting everything or most things backed up is time consuming and irritating.
You may not have to. You should be able to re-enable those apps in Applications Manager.

The issue is allowing ram to work as it is designed to. You may be experiencing heavy lag or slow running but this is not your solution.
I would delete all those cleaning and battery apps, they don't help.
You can monitor your battery with the Gsam app. That's all you need if that.
Ram that's close to full is good, it's the way Android operates and most new Android users learn that here, as I did.

Apps don't really turn off, as I understand it. You exit an app, but it may stay in ram unless the space is needed.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As Madd said you don't need that kind of cleaning apps. Just having one of them is unnecessary, with so many you're going to have problems, for sure.

Any disabled / turned off app is going to be in the disabled tab of your app manager/drawer. Switch them back on from there.

Snorbie

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for responding. MADD, I uninstalled all those cleaning apps. That's a relief. Javier P, I went to app mgr & sure enough when I looked under the turned off list I was able to turn them back on. When I looked at them under the all list, I wasn't able to turn them back on. Weird.
There were still dozens of apps under the all list that were turned off (lots of the ones with the green android as the icon) that were not listed in the turned off list. Location Services is still off & I figure that must have something to do with why, MAPS kept saying couldn't find location. Also Mobile Tracker.
Any more feedback would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for responding. MADD, I uninstalled all those cleaning apps. That's a relief. Javier P, I went to app mgr & sure enough when I looked under the turned off list I was able to turn them back on. When I looked at them under the all list, I wasn't able to turn them back on. Weird.
There were still dozens of apps under the all list that were turned off (lots of the ones with the green android as the icon) that were not listed in the turned off list. Location Services is still off & I figure that must have something to do with why, MAPS kept saying couldn't find location. Also Mobile Tracker.
Any more feedback would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Posted via the Android Central App
Location Services app info is empty on my All list also, but Maps works fine; there are other issues/tips that can affect/help map locating. Location Services app version 1.0 is probably a legacy app, from a previous OS, or is now integrated on Maps or elsewhere. Likewise Mobile services app has virtually no data. Another example is Gesture Service app.
I don't go through all the little green men and worry about them .
In a year reading Android Central they were never listed as a cause of anything.

See if you have Maps version 9.2. The app GPS Status and Toolbox helps a lot of people get their location locks back on track or speeded up.

I and many have had temporary or longer term GPS problems due to a whole variety of individual factors, and in threads have helped each other out.
I am in the UK and my GPS has been instant and perfect for a few months - though Maps was determined to convince me I was actually in a spot outside Paris for a long time last summer, and then near government offices in Karachi, Pakistan!

I would try to let your phone run as intended for a few days if it will, to see what other problems it has, and what apps and settings may be causing you problems.
Gsam is very good for app usage details.

(Sleep time for me here but back tomorrow.)

2a7309f38bb069d9851b4f8d4935e00f.jpg
8398a57856955ca6b85b6dc8134550c5.jpg
4b328c53c3d2883033acd50cdfabab11.jpg
689888f4c0bb7b6f8e9cc639fd140662.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This should also help: If you go into Settings>apps, then click menu (either the Samsung capacitive or the 3 dot menu at the top) and then click reset app preferences, this should revert everything back, similar to how a factory reset would. Any disabled app should be reenabled, any unchecked 'Show notifications' boxes should be rechecked, and all defaults cleared. (This is something else to try when there are general Play issues as well).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 is a superphone so it's going to handle everything without a hiccup. If you want to debloat it of some Samsung or carrier apps there are some list in this forum about that. Search for "note 4 safe disable/remove". As a simple rule, don't touch any process with the green robot unless you're 100% sure that is safe and that it's going to make an important difference.

To improve battery and performance there are some simple things you can do. For example, switch location services on only when needed and switch it off in apps like FB or messenger. Of course, don't do that if you really need or like to have them on. And if you're not a big FB fan just uninstall both of them and access FB through the browser.

Check the sync, upload or update settings in apps like Play Store, Google + and such. And if you don't use Play books, music, movies, ... You can safely disable them (don't disable Play Services!!). :)

Being a led screen having dark wallpapers and backgrounds is going to make a big difference, battery wise. For reading apps try to use dark/night themes if you feel comfortable using them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have it written down somewhere, you're just going to have to remember it. (Some launchers can back up the current state, so at least you can restore the home pages to the way they were, but that's about it. And you have to have backed up "how it was" back when it was.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante