Ok so i purchased a nexus 4 8gb with broken screen and the new screen came today.

So i took the phone apart and all went well BUT when i got my battery out it had a funny sweet odor coming everywhere and a little hole came in the battery and i cluod feel some sort of rubber thing underneath but proseeded to take it apart and i rebuiold it with the new screen put a little bit of tape on the battery everything seemed good. but then it all of the sudden turned off and i cloud,nt get it on again so i took the phone apart and took the broken battery out and it smelled real bad so i tossed it in the battery trash and i purchused a new one and hoping its gonna work. but when it died no red light or any sign of life when plugged in and when i plug it in now theres no battery nothing still happens. normally i heard there wloud be a red light or something any ideas? can the phone be turned on with no battery is my motherboard fried?
    01-10-2015 11:55 AM
    It seems like something went wrong or fried. There shouldn't be any reason why you would get that odor unless there was a short.

Try taking everything apart and carefully make sure everything is back together correctly. If it doesn't work, then you'll likely need to replace or send for repair.
    01-10-2015 05:53 PM
    It seems like something went wrong or fried. There shouldn't be any reason why you would get that odor unless there was a short.

Try taking everything apart and carefully make sure everything is back together correctly. If it doesn't work, then you'll likely need to replace or send for repair.
    Its just the battery the smell came from.
    01-10-2015 05:53 PM

But i no longer have the old battery and i got asthma so dont want to breathe in too many vapors anyway what do you think the whole phone is toast or just the battery i have orderd a new battery hope its gonna fix it
    01-10-2015 05:55 PM
    1) It sounds, as srkmagnus said, like a short - probably either a pinched wire or a fried motherboard.

2) NEVER throw a lithium battery in the trash. Lithium is toxic waste. Find a store that accepts used cellphone batteries (your carrier if nowhere else - in the US, Lowes does). If they use an incinerator in your town to burn solid waste, you could kill people when that battery burns. (And it could be illegal - it is in some places.)

(If you disposed of it properly, this is still a notice for anyone else reading the thread.)
    01-10-2015 05:57 PM
    1) It sounds, as srkmagnus said, like a short - probably either a pinched wire or a fried motherboard.

2) NEVER throw a lithium battery in the trash. Lithium is toxic waste. Find a store that accepts used cellphone batteries (your carrier if nowhere else - in the US, Lowes does). If they use an incinerator in your town to burn solid waste, you could kill people when that battery burns. (And it could be illegal - it is in some places.)

(If you disposed of it properly, this is still a notice for anyone else reading the thread.)
    Broken motherboard ? I hope not the desc or the smell the smell came from the battery witch had a sweet smell and i put the battery in a bag and put it in my local apartment trashroom,s battery trash and its all rainy right now so the battery probaly ruined. Anyway i purchased a new battery and it should come in the next 20 days.
    01-10-2015 06:01 PM
    motherboard have no smell and the sweet odor came when i removed tje battery. but i taped the hole in the battery and it worked but all og the sudden died and theres no power at all not even after the wried death. no lights no vibration no sound no power no nothing
    01-10-2015 06:16 PM
    Bump.
    01-11-2015 06:14 AM
    The smell from the battery could have come from the fact that there's a hole in it. (I've never tried to poke a hole in a lithium battery or juggle jars of nitroglycerine - I'm not suicidal - so I'm just guessing that the electrolyte has a sweet smell.) A short on the motherboard wouldn't necessarily smell at all. Neither would a pinched wire. But a pinched wire could fry the motherboard with no odor at all. This is why I advise people who have no cellphone repair experience (meaning, people who haven't been trained to repair cellphones) to pay a shop to fix the phone. It's cheaper.
    01-11-2015 01:17 PM
    The smell from the battery could have come from the fact that there's a hole in it. (I've never tried to poke a hole in a lithium battery or juggle jars of nitroglycerine - I'm not suicidal - so I'm just guessing that the electrolyte has a sweet smell.) A short on the motherboard wouldn't necessarily smell at all. Neither would a pinched wire. But a pinched wire could fry the motherboard with no odor at all. This is why I advise people who have no cellphone repair experience (meaning, people who haven't been trained to repair cellphones) to pay a shop to fix the phone. It's cheaper.
    I dont have the battery anymore so i cant check but do you thnk it will work again when the new battery comes? Hoping for it but yes i think there was a hole in the old battery.
    01-11-2015 01:19 PM
    If that's all that was wrong with it, and there's no electrolyte (gooey liquid) in the battery compartment (wash it with rubbing alcohol), it should work - but charge it fully before turning the phone on the first time. Don't rush and just turn it on for a minute to see.

Then run it until the phone tells you to charge it. Repeat twice more. (3 full charges, 3 full uses.) From then on, try to never let the battery fall below 40%. (50% is the ideal charge point for maximum life, 40% won't shorten the life much, 30% will.)
    01-11-2015 08:09 PM
    If that's all that was wrong with it, and there's no electrolyte (gooey liquid) in the battery compartment (wash it with rubbing alcohol), it should work - but charge it fully before turning the phone on the first time. Don't rush and just turn it on for a minute to see.

Then run it until the phone tells you to charge it. Repeat twice more. (3 full charges, 3 full uses.) From then on, try to never let the battery fall below 40%. (50% is the ideal charge point for maximum life, 40% won't shorten the life much, 30% will.)
    Theres goo i taped the battery but i found out the battery was damaged so i threw it out in the battery trash since it was in my phone and my phone just all of the sudden powered off and didn turn on again it hit me it was the battery. Hopefully its gonna work when the new,s here 😃

01-12-2015 01:53 AM