Which 128GB MicroSD card should I get?

PiteCZek

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys, I Will be buying new HTC Hima when it comes out and I decided to shorten the waiting time by picking a new MicroSD card for it.

I surely want a 128GB version, money isn´t a problem. Right now I am deciding between these:

Kingston 128GB MicroSDXC
Sandisk 128GB MicroSDXC (48MB/s)
Samsung EVO 128GB MicroSDXC
Lexar 128GB MicroSDXC (633x version)

Which one should I get? Thanks :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Sandisk or Samsung. Both ultra reliable, make their own (they also make everyone else's apparently), and use the best. Sandisk have great after sales care. I don't know if the Evo is technically superior, but as you are buying a HTC that's what I would buy.

(Good evening Rukbat - I would have left this for you. ☺)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Madd. I agree, of course. SanDisk and Samsung make the chips, everyone else buys them and puts them into little packages.

I buy only SanDisk (because of the excellent service), and the only bad one I ever had was my fault - I broke the edge of the housing on the card (it still works, though). I've contacted them a couple of times about other matters (I wouldn't ask them to replace a card I broke) and they sounded like they had the job because they wanted to help people. Oh, and they got paid too, of course, but that's just a bonus. Seagate's like that too. (I like to name the good guys - so many companies are "we got your money so we're not interested in talking to you" types.)

PiteCZek

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I will definitely get Sandisk :)

However, I was thinking about the speed of 128GB cards....they aren´t fast enough for phones that can record 4k videos, right?

If I managed to lower my requirement for capacity, would the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB be a good choice? (In my country it costs the same as 128GB sandisk ultra and new snapdragon 810 that HTC hima will use should support UHS-I speeds)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's true. The Note 3 has been able to record 4k video to sd since September/October 2013.
I cannot remember and have not kept up to date with this.
It has been noted that you can only record 5 minutes of 4k at a time, regardless of storage. This may have changed, but something to bear in mind.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For 4k video, you need a UHS-3 (or U3) card, and I haven't seen one in 128GB made by anyone yet. (You can record on a SanDisk Extreme (U1), but there is a loss of data.)

One thing to note, though, is that unless you have a 4k display, you have to look VERY closely at comparison pictures between 4k Note 3 and 1080p full size sensor pictures to see any difference at all - and the differences are very minor. By the time 4k becomes important, the Note 3 will be on its way out or already out. (The Note 3 already takes better pictures than the $1,000 Nikon D7 [and that's the body only, no lens], which is limited to 1080p, so the D7 is just about out. You have to go to a $3,000 Nikon [again, body only] to get 4k.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2