A couple days ago my galaxy s5 was stolen from my locker while working out at the Y. No phone insurance or anything. I'm currently with t mobile so still have a sizable balance to pay off.

Other than shopping on craigslist I started researching other "bargain" phone options. What I've found are two hopefully good possibilities. The Blu series of phones and Elephone.

Would like to get some feedback if anyone out there has owned or currently using one of these as their daily driver.

Thanks in advance.
    01-11-2015 04:53 PM
    Neither one, but look on Swappa.

There's what I call the Craig's List Scam (like the Nigerian Scam). The seller gets your money and gives you a phone with a clean IMEI. Then he reports the phone stolen. You go to register the phone and you can't because it's reported stolen. They don't want to hear how you just bought it.

If you must buy from Craig';s list, meet at the carrier's store and have the carrier register the phone to your account before you pay the seller (let the sales associate hold the money). A legitimate seller won't argue. A scammer won't wait for the door to open in his rush to leave (assuming he even shows up).
    machboy351 likes this.
    01-11-2015 08:03 PM
    Neither one, but look on Swappa.

There's what I call the Craig's List Scam (like the Nigerian Scam). The seller gets your money and gives you a phone with a clean IMEI. Then he reports the phone stolen. You go to register the phone and you can't because it's reported stolen. They don't want to hear how you just bought it.

If you must buy from Craig';s list, meet at the carrier's store and have the carrier register the phone to your account before you pay the seller (let the sales associate hold the money). A legitimate seller won't argue. A scammer won't wait for the door to open in his rush to leave (assuming he even shows up).
    What is the benefit to the seller/scammer to report the phone stolen after they've handed it over to the buyer? Is the buyer supposed to find the seller and want to return the phone for a refund? Ibsee that it hurts the buyer but don't see howbit benefits the scammer. It's getting late and I'm getting tired, forgive me that.
    01-11-2015 09:49 PM
    What is the benefit to the seller/scammer to report the phone stolen after they've handed it over to the buyer? Is the buyer supposed to find the seller and want to return the phone for a refund? Ibsee that it hurts the buyer but don't see howbit benefits the scammer. It's getting late and I'm getting tired, forgive me that.
    Due to sellers shipping devices after getting paid, like on ebay, the seller can get the money, and while the phone is in shipping transit, the seller can report the device stolen/lost, therefore blacklisting it.
    01-11-2015 10:23 PM
    How can the seller benefit from blacklisting that device after the sale and handover? He's already got the money. What more can he achieve?
    In the example of shipping the device. The example that Rukbat outlined is a way to prevent fraud. As to why people do it? I don't know.
    01-11-2015 11:08 PM
    Yeah, it seems like it's effort on the scammer's end to no benefit to the scammer.
    01-12-2015 05:19 AM
    They can then file an insurance claim and get a new or refurbished device for much less than msrp, depending on their plan.
    01-12-2015 07:26 AM
    They can then file an insurance claim and get a new or refurbished device for much less than msrp, depending on their plan.
    Ah.
    01-12-2015 07:49 AM
    I appreciate the feedback. You were the only one so far to provide an answer to the question. And I guess bargain is the wrong word to use. Both companies I mentioned sell lower spec phones. Nothing earth shattering but appear to be viable options. I was hoping someone out there had actually gotten their hands on one. Think we could get Phil to write up a review?! Ha

Anyway swappo seems to have a great selection. I'll have to read up on the reviews and see what I can find. Thanks again
    01-12-2015 08:47 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. You were the only one so far to provide an answer to the question. And I guess bargain is the wrong word to use. Both companies I mentioned sell lower spec phones. Nothing earth shattering but appear to be viable options
    It depends on what you mean by "viable". An S5 that kinda-sorta (if you're in the Republic of the Congo, using "Joe's Cellphone Company") does a slow version of 3G is a great buy (a steal, even) at $100. But to use in the US? Not unless you're taking it back to 2004.

Some of the specs on those "lower spec" phones" make them virtually worthless today. (And you'll be using the Amazon App Store, not the Play Store, since they don't come with any of the Google apps, and if you install Gaaps, they kind of work - some of the time. You pay half price and get 1/4 the phone. Not earth-shattering, but you're getting ripped off anyway.
    01-12-2015 11:44 PM