I was wondering, has anyone ever lost anything after doing an OTA update for their Android device? I've heard in the past people having problems with BB/iPhone/HTC, but never Samsung.

Random question that popped up in my head, since my Note 4 currently has a firmware update.
    01-14-2015 10:54 AM
    You're not supposed to lose anything, unless something interrupts the update (e.g., the phone runs out of battery during the update). However, I have seen posts where people lost data on the microSD card during a system update, so to be safe, I'd unmount the card first, then remove it prior to updating.
    01-14-2015 11:04 AM
    Thanks, I'll probably do this.
    01-23-2015 01:14 PM
    Same thing here. One update failed and the phone had to be replaced. One update ran out of battery and took a chip on the motherboard with it - and the phone had to be replaced. Otherwise, no.

Besides, if you don't want to lose it, have it backed up. Not just pictures and videos - apps, the data for the apps, settings (including settings for the launcher if you're not running TouchWuz (it's not on my phone any longer - it "wuz") - anything that losing would make your life more work.

So if you lose data you just restore it. The way I look at it, with a tight holster and an Otterbox Defender, if a garbage truck rode over the phone just as I dropped it, I don't want to have lost my data. Things break. After a few decades in the computer business I've learned that the most valuable part of any computer - by far - is the data. (I had a client who went out of business because his accounts receivable weren't backed up [or even on paper] when his hard drive died. Expensive hard drive.)
    01-23-2015 05:47 PM