Hi there,

I've a few odd issues that have started occurring with my HTC One M8. The timing of them starting together makes me feel that they are related. The device has not had any drops or exposure to water within the last few days, so I also am of a mind that this is most likely a software issue.

Issue 1) When the device is sitting idle, the screen will light up with no new notifications. If the sound is on, the ringtone will often play. Sometimes the ringtone will start several times, with several iterations of the ringtone playing just out of time with each other.

Issue 2) While using some apps (Chrome and native messaging app), particularly while taking user input (for example, typing a web address or a text message), the apps will appear to refresh. Chrome will refresh the page and lose the user input. The messaging application will also lose all user input, and sometimes get into a loop of 10 to 20 iterations of refreshing the screen, drawing the message list and then refreshing immediately

3) When I plug my phone in to my PC to charge, after a while the device will stop showing that it is charging (although the battery has not been fully charged), although the device will recognize that it is plugged in. Also, the computer it is connected can read and copy material from the device during this time.

As an aside, I also noticed while perusing my applications in the play store that while scrolling the screen would occasionally appear to show that I had started to select a group of applications and then quickly turn off the group selection screen.

As a second aside, I've also had the car application popping up randomly. This has desisted with my turning off of the app in the settings menu and installing the "Car Mode Off" application.

As a third aside, I have performed the factory reset (without erasing all data or SD Card). The problem persists

One final aside, I noticed yesterday that a "which app would you like to perform this action" popup was appearing for seemingly no action being performed - I certainly had not input anything. The popup allowed me to chose "DayDream" (which I have learned a little about and turned off in the settings menu) and my alarm clock app.

Has anyone seen any of these issues? Any advice?

Please send help.

Cheers
    01-16-2015 07:21 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Wow, that's a lot of stuff happening. You mentioned doing a factory reset without erasing all data--what do you mean by that? Factory reset by definition erases all of the data on the phone (although it's not supposed to affect the microSD card).

Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition: [Guide] How to reboot into Stock Recovery on HTC One M8
    01-16-2015 10:52 AM
    Thank you for getting back to me.

The action I meant was that in the "Reset Phone" option of the ""Backup and reset" menu, I left the two tickboxes, marked "Erase all data" and "Erase SD card" unticked. I then initiated the reset.

I took the advice listed in that thread. Took me a couple of goes to understand getting to the second menu, but I wiped the cache partition. The issue persists.

Thank you for your help, may I probe you for secondary ideas?
    01-17-2015 05:36 AM
    With all of those issues, it may be worth your while to back up all of your data, then do a full factory reset (wiping all of your data). Unmount and remove the SD card before you do it--a reset isn't supposed to affect the SD, but I've seen a few too many posts here about problems that it's worth taking it out, just in case.
    01-17-2015 12:16 PM
    Another possibility is that you had the phone outside in very cold weather for quite a while, the phone got cold all the way through, then you brought it into a war, and relatively humid house. That causes condensation and causes the same damage as dropping it into water, just a lot slower.

If a factory reset doesn't help, see Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!

(BTW, a reset without erasing data is just a restart. Turning the phone off, then turning it on, does more to clean it than that.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-17-2015 02:17 PM
    Hi guys,

I'll exercise this advice when I get home today and keep you posted on the results.

I did find another source of information that tied this to potentially a contamination of the USB port on the device, which I am also going to clean out.
    01-19-2015 02:51 AM