Selling a broken device.

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
So I dropped my LG G3 last week at the gym. There are no cracks or anything like that but the screen never powered back up. Ever.

I decided to sell it on eBay for parts. Problem is I'm worried that someone can fix it and recover my email and all accounts even though I had a lock on it. Is this possible?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the phone had a screen lock set before it got damaged, then you're probably ok if you change the passwords of any account that the phone was logged into (especially the Google one). If someone was actually able to get the phone working again, they wouldn't be able to access your email or other info, because the phone would give a sign-in error and ask the user to sign into the account again. This wouldn't protect any locally stored photos or files, though--if you didn't have a good screenlock set up, they could potentially access that data.

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Hmmmmm. Thanks for the answers. Can I do anything to remedy that? Magnet? I don't know anything? I'd like to protect pics and chrome may have saved passwords.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, magnets are for ferromagnetically stored data on spinning hard drives and floppy disks ("What the heck is that?" remarks 80% of the people reading this post:p). And those magnets would have to be really strong.

The only way you could get rid of that data would be to destroy the chips.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. I suppose you could hook it up to some high voltage power source and fry the internals, but that would be (a) hella dangerous, and (b) render it relatively useless for spare parts!:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781