My phone has three 3gb of ram...for the past 2 or 3 weeks I never restarted the phone.. Normally I would have 1300+1400 ram usage when idle...but today it was around 1600 unless I opened lots of apps and cleared at once wherein the ram flushed and gave 1400 again...again when I opened one or two apps and closed them immediately the usage went to 1600 again..so I restarted the phone ...now it is back at 1200...so is it necessary to restart android once in a while?....and the running apps doesn't make any sense..even the cached processes doesn't justify the ram usage...

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-17-2015 12:03 AM
    And does having the phone turned on for longer periods affect the battery life...normally I lose only 1 or 2 percent when I sleep...but yesterday lost 5 percent....

01-17-2015 12:06 AM
    My phone has three 3gb of ram...for the past 2 or 3 weeks I never restarted the phone.. Normally I would have 1300+1400 ram usage when idle...but today it was around 1600 unless I opened lots of apps and cleared at once wherein the ram flushed and gave 1400 again...again when I opened one or two apps and closed them immediately the usage went to 1600 again..so I restarted the phone ...now it is back at 1200...so is it necessary to restart android once in a while?....and the running apps doesn't make any sense..even the cached processes doesn't justify the ram usage...

I'm going to assume u are using android lollipop? Supposedly there's a memory leak bug that's doing exactly what you described. Fix is on its way, probably in February with the 5.1 update.

01-17-2015 12:35 AM
    And does having the phone turned on for longer periods affect the battery life...normally I lose only 1 or 2 percent when I sleep...but yesterday lost 5 percent....

by 3gb ram i'm guessing it is a Hwawei honor 6,forgive me if i'm wrong.restarting does the samething as the inbuilt phone manager does or any ram optimizer.So in my opinion i don't think restarting helps that much.for ur second query u should manage apps that run in background that run after screen turns off.
    01-17-2015 12:39 AM
    Oh no I do not have lollipop

01-17-2015 12:51 AM
    Yeah mine is a honor 6...and I just have nova launcher in the protected list...all other apps are set to close when the screen is off....and phone manager doesn't get my memory back..only a restart does...

01-17-2015 12:52 AM
    And losing extra battery in standby has happened twice for me..only thing I recollect from both the occasions is that I tried to kill apps from running list and cached processes... Would that explain the extra battery drain during standby..
    ..sorry for asking many questions...first time with a smartphone. Just trying to learn how android works...

01-17-2015 12:58 AM
    Killing running apps does very little. Alot of apps will automatically reload.
    Please search A/C fourms about this.
    Try clearing system cache. This usually clears up alot of problems. Ever have an app thats lagging or buggy? Odds are the app cache is fairly large. Clear it and the app preforms better. Same principle for phone.
    Don't use task killers, they do nothing worthwhile. See A/C fourms

01-17-2015 04:56 AM
    It's a good idea to not only restart your phone occasionally but to also wipe the cache (an option in the Recovery menu).
    palandri and tonyr6 like this.
    01-17-2015 06:48 AM
    It's a good idea to not only restart your phone occasionally but to also wipe the cache (an option in the Recovery menu).
    ^^This^^ There are also certain applications that won't run right after updates until you restart your phone.
    01-17-2015 08:22 AM
    I reboot my Nexus 5 every other day to prevent sudden rapid battery drain. I also reboot my Nexus 7 (2013) every time I charge it because I barely use it since getting the Nexus 5.
    01-17-2015 04:00 PM
    I do clear the app cache from time to time...

01-17-2015 05:48 PM
    So the sudden extra battery drain happens if we have the phone without a restart for a long a time...

01-17-2015 05:49 PM
    I've run phones for weeks without restarting - with no problem. A stable Android installation doesn't require constant restarts. This is Android, not Windows. The entire design philosophy is different, the operating system works differently - the only thing they have in common is that they run on computers.

Read Multitasking the Android Way. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. (One of the engineers who wrote Android should know how it works.) Killing apps only slows the phone and wastes battery - if Android wanted those apps not in RAM, they wouldn't be, some other app would be in that spot. (There's a huge difference between an app being in RAM and running in RAM. An app can be in RAM and not be running.) If Android needs a process in one of the apps it's going to reload it. The app killer will kill it. Android will reload it, etc., etc., defeating the design philosophy of Android, bringing the phone to a crawl and wasting battery.

Restarting an Android phone regularly (or once in a while "just because") just wastes the phone's battery and your time. And, yes, killing a needed app can cause an increase in battery use as you kill it, Android loads it, you kill it, Android loads it ... If it happens regularly, without killing any apps, it could be a defective battery.

Bring in RAM doesn't cost battery. (There's always SOME value to a bit in RAM - whether that's random or part of an app doesn't make any difference in battery drain.) Being loaded back into RAM because it was removed by something other than Android does. (If Android removed it [actually just used the space it had been in], it's because it wouldn't be using it again for a while.)

Don't ever kill an app's cache while it's running, unless you don't care about the data in the app. It might be holding that data in cache at the moment and if you clear the app's cache, you lose the data (like the essay you just spent 3 hours writing). System cache is another matter - the system will rebuild its cache as needed.

But you don't restart the phone to clear cache, you just go to Storage/Cache and clear it.
    01-17-2015 08:01 PM
    Thanks... Just what I thought...great explanation...

01-17-2015 08:17 PM