Why does my phone immediately revert to default ringtone?

A

AC Question

I understand that some people have difficulties with downloaded ringtones but this is not the same type of issue and it has nothing to do with the SD card to my knowledge.

When I try to change my ringtone for a contact it will always revert to the default ringtone immediately after I try to change it. It does not matter if it is a factory set ringtone or one that I downloaded. In fact my standard ringtone is one that I have downloaded but under the contacts it refuses to do anything other than use whatever I have set for default.

Here is the strangest part and probably the biggest hint to the issue, even if I select "None" the phone still revert to the default ringtone as soon as I hit the OK button. If I go back and check what ringtone is selected it will revert back to the default. So this is not in between using other apps, rebooting or putting my phone to sleep, it is immediate.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What version of Android is it on? Has it gotten the Lollipop update yet? That might help. But since it's pretty new, you may just want to bring it back to the store and ask for an exchange, if possible.

Marcus Teague

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I found the solution! It is the weirdest, and I will post it here for anyone else who might come across this in the future.

The system is designed to utilize phone numbers without dashes. If they are in there and a custom ringtone is set, it cannot be attached to the contact for some reason as the dashes in the phone number info interferes. Removing the dashes from the contact phone number listings fixed the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12