So I bought my Galaxy S5 From AT&T but I called the company to unlock my phone so that I could use T-Mobile as a carrier. Since I have switched to T-Mobile I have not been able to use my Hot Spot on my phone to connect other devices. Is there some way that I can still use this feature on my Galaxy S5 with a T-Moble Sim Card in it?
    01-19-2015 06:43 PM
    So I bought my Galaxy S5 From AT&T but I called the company to unlock my phone so that I could use T-Mobile as a carrier. Since I have switched to T-Mobile I have not been able to use my Hot Spot on my phone to connect other devices. Is there some way that I can still use this feature on my Galaxy S5 with a T-Moble Sim Card in it?
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have Hotspot enabled on your plan?
    srkmagnus likes this.
    01-19-2015 06:55 PM
    Check to make sure you have the HotSpot feature added to your account. Alternatively, you can try using an App, such as Fox-Fi, to tether devices to your current device/network. However, be aware that the app only works on supported devices (check their website to see if your device is supported) and it will consume data from your current plan. Meaning, if you don't have a large data plan, you could easily go through the allotment quickly.
    01-19-2015 07:02 PM
    I tried multiple WiFi apps but i continue to get the message "Mobile Data is not available or invalid SIM". Is there a way to address the incompatibility of a AT&T Phone with a T-Mobile SIM?
    01-19-2015 07:47 PM
    I'm going through the exact same thing with an ATT GS3 and a T-Mobile SIM card. The weird thing is that Mobile Data is available. The card I'm testing with is a valid data only card, actually. It's from a dedicated mobile hot spot device. I just don't know if it's the ATT software giving that message, or the T-Mobile connection.

The reason that I'm going through all of this is that I want to use that phone for travel in Italy with a TIM SIM card that allows both voice and tethering. I'm afraid it's not going to work.

Did you ever get this working? If so, please tell me how. Thanks.
    03-13-2015 02:34 PM
    If there's no mobile data, check the APN. If it's still set to AT&T's values, it's not going to work on TMO. It should be (from TMO's site for the S5):

Name: T-Mobile US LTE
    APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    Proxy: <Not set>
    Port: <Not set>
    Username: <Not set>
    Password: <Not set>
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    Multimedia message proxy: <Not set>
    Multimedia message port: <Not set>
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260